The word stummel

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
wdteipen

The word stummel

Post by wdteipen »

Something's been bothering me ever since the Columbus, OH pipe show. I was talking to one of the dealers at the show and I used the word 'stummel' when speaking about a certain pipe. He corrected me saying that the word 'stummel' was a word created in America as if to say that it wasn't a valid term in the pipeworld. It was almost like he was looking down his nose at me. So, if stummel is not an acceptable word to describe the bowl and shank part of a pipe then what is?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

My definition of a stummel would be the wood portion of a pipe cut on a frazing machine still in need of finish sanding and stain.

But thats just me.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

http://phrontistery.info/s.html

Sounds like the dealer is a boor. Who cares about the dealer's "pipe world," when I say "stummel" pipe smokers and makers know what I mean. It's German for "stump," so I doubt its pipemaking usage originated in America. I have some guesses about which dealer, though. :roll:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow, one wonders what spawned that exchange. The word stummel has been in widespread use referring to the wooden portion of a pipe for as long as I've been smoking one - used by both makers, smokers, and dealers.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:Sounds like the dealer is a boor.
.... or another one of those pipe snobs who can't be taught a thing about pipes and pipemaking because they already know it all. :evil:

Actually, I had been thinking of asking where the word stummel originated and how the word related to pipe bowls.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It could be because I politely pointed out that he had one of his stems on upside down. :lol: He argued with me briefly then quickly conceded when I pointed out that the stem/stummel transition wasn't exactly concentric and the lip was showing the way he had the stem. Once he found out I didn't have $300 to spend on a pipe he quickly moved on to another victim and paid me no more attention. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just trying to strike up a conversation and show interest in his wares. I thought the whole interaction was quite amusing in retrospect.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Did this dealer happen to be in the back right corner of the room viewing as you enter with the club table on your right? There is one dealer who used to stroll over, pick up my pipes, and show me what I had done wrong. There aren't that many truly obnoxious pipe dealers.
android

Post by android »

i'm curious to know what he calls it? maybe there's an emphasis on the 'u' in his book.