My first blast....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Christopher Brunton

My first blast....

Post by Christopher Brunton »

Hi all. Boy I sure have been busy lately. I'll have a few more pipes to post pictures of in the next few days, but here's my first blast.

It was quite an adventure, but I now have a blast setup in my shop, for a while, at least. I have it on loan and can't wait to tell you folks what I have to do to pay the guy back. But, that'll have to wait for another post as I don't have the related pictures available to post here yet......

Well, here it is. Thanks for looking feel free to tell me what ever you think. Oh yeah, I threw in a shot of my latest tamper design, too.

-chris

p.s. I'm working on my photography. I should be finished with my light box tomorrow, so, with a little luck you'll be seeing betters pictures in my next few posts.

alan

Post by alan »

That tamper is beautiful. I'm more of a silver type of guy, but that is very nice.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

What a pipe! What a blast! What a tamper!!! OMG! Congrats and lots of respect and everything that could be due ;)
Christopher Brunton

Thanks guys.

About tamper materials......well Brass is a bit cheaper than silver... ;_0
Ha! I actually like silver myself. My wedding band is silver, too. The problem is that actually using it for structural purposes is, as I'm sure you may know, quite impossible. That is, where can you buy 5/8 inch silver stock? So, stainless comes to mind.........not easily quickly machinable, and I have waaaaaaay too much time in this thing anyway.

Aluminum is not something I like to use a lot of, just because of the tarnish factor. But that's what I had to use for the trim pieces. Cumberland, too.

I have a few more to put up in the next few days....tampers that is....thanks again,

BTW the blast is for sale if anybodie's interested.

-loose
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I'm looking forward to see those pics!

PS: BTW I see you live a few 100 km-s from me :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Christopher Brunton wrote: BTW the blast is for sale if anybodie's interested.
The curse of the full time pipe maker - you can't even afford your own pipes. :)

Very nice blast, BTW. I really like the shape of that pipe. The button may be a bit large, but overall I think it's a stunning success.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I love it! I'd prefer it stained darker, but that's just me. :roll: GREAT shape and nice blast.
android

Post by android »

really nice pipe, i love that shape and i think the stem is a nice compliment to it. the blast is nice and subtle. well done and the tamper is first class!
Christopher Brunton

Thanks again guys. Kurt, you're right. I can't afford anything but Tinderbox basket pipe! Actually, that's kind of what got me started doing this.

I'm pretty happy with the shape and I think I'll be making variations on the theme.

As for the stain, well, I like them light. As much as I smoke my pipes, they darken up pretty quickly on their own. Also, I don't have any black dye, which is the way I really wanted to go with this one.....

I'm not sure how much blasting I'll be doing until I the 5 horse compressor running in the shop. (no 220 service out there yet) I've got a little old whatsit of a compressor now. 20 gallon (?) tank on wheels with a motor on it. It works but I'm only getting 85psi tops. That makes for some slow going.

It sure will be fun when I get some psi going, though!