OT: kinda - ebonite thiny I made today

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

OT: kinda - ebonite thiny I made today

Post by KurtHuhn »

I decided to take today off despite my workload, and made something for me.

There are no pen kit pieces in there anywhere. The only part I didn't make was the nib and front section.

It's substantial - but if you've seen me, you'd know it fits my hands well. :) As a matter of proportions, it might have been better slimmed down a touch, but there's a bit of a story behind it. Suffice to say, it's meant to impress.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Cool!

A few years ago when I stocked and sold ebonite, I had an order from a knife and pen maker that wanted to experiment with cumberland and vulcanite for some pens. He and I had several intriguing conversations about making knives, pens, and pipes, and I have since considered making a pen from ebonite. I can see now that it would be worth the effort.

Well done!

Tyler

P.S. Check out http://david.broadwell.com/. I haven't looked through the site to find if he has any pens of ebonite online, but that's the guy.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote: P.S. Check out http://david.broadwell.com/. I haven't looked through the site to find if he has any pens of ebonite online, but that's the guy.
Ah! David Broadwell! He does stunning work. His folding knives are incredible, and make me want to use credit cards. :) There's definitely inspirational stuff on his site. And, he an interesting way of attaching a pen clip. That's food for thought right there.

Of course, now that I've made this pen, I want to make another incorporating everything I learned in the process. And if I could figure out how to make the front section, and just use the nib and feed, I'd be a happy boy!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com