tools for stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Bear

tools for stems

Post by Bear »

As I have been gaining experience with my pipemaking I have wanted to create a pipe that is mine from start to finish. My next step is the stem. Since I am really just getting started with this pipemaking obsession I have only have a small arsenal of tools. A drill press, dremel, sandpaper, various files and a hand drill is all I have for now. I plan on obtaining more tools in the future but funds are pretty limited for now. My question is whether these tools are enough to make some quality stems or am I better off buying my stems until I get the more appropiate tools? Any imput is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

With the addition of a PIMO tenon tool, those tools are exactly what I used to make my first stems. It was time consuming and sometimes frustrating, but I managed to make it work.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Bear

Post by Bear »

without the pimo tool, better to buy stems?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Actually, the PIMO tool makes premolds easier to use as well.

If you're not going to use Delrin, that is.

If you're going to use delrin, the PIMO tool isn't necessary.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

A vertical 1-2" belt sander will make hand carved stems much easier to make. If at any point you plan on selling your pipes it's a must to cut the time down. If time isn't a factor then the tools you have will work fine albeit slow.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com