2nd pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bear

2nd pipe

Post by Bear »

These are some pics of my second pipe. My first pipe was made from a kit, so this is my first from block to pipe. I feel that I improved from my first pipe so overall I am happy with the results, but I am a perfectionist so there are still many many things that I have to work on. Please let me know what you think and don't worry about hurting my feelings. This process gets more and more enjoyable!

tritrek

Post by tritrek »

And what a nice try! Very good wood considering it was a block (they tend to be of the not-the-best batch) - straight grainish sides with bird eye top. Good work!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's a really good effort, and shows lots of promise. Did you hand cut the stem as well, or is it a premold?

A couple things I noticed:
- the stem/shank transition isn't 100% perfect. It isn't bad, but it's not perfect either. If you fit the stem before sanding, then keep there all the way through final buff, you'll have a smooth transition with no dip or valley.
- The stem may be bent a touch too far for my tastes, but that's sometimes rather subjective. If it works for you, ignore that.
- The shank and stem seem a little "lanky" in relation to the bowl. I'd like to see a little more beef there - or a slightly shorter stem.
- Nice job on aligning the grain.
- I also like the subtle contrast staining.

Overall, very nice job! One of these days I'll show off the second pipe I ever made - when I'm successful enough for folks to brush it off as a April 1st joke or something. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
alan

Post by alan »

Far better than my 2nd attempt. Well done! :clap:
Bear

Post by Bear »

The stem is not hand cut but from a blank I had lying around, it needed considerable shaping and thats where I think I need the most work. I am considering throwing that stem out and making a new one from scratch that I am more satisfied with.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a real nice job for your second attempt. I agree with Kurt's comments. Nice piece of wood too.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com