Delrin installation...

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Patrick

Delrin installation...

Post by Patrick »

I have read some insturctions on setting up a delrin, but can't understand it, as no photos of the item is shown. Does anyone have a simpler explantion and maybe some photos of what they look like, the purpose, and how to install?
Thanks!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Since you posted this question under the "Stummels" section, I'm not sure if you're referring to a delrin mortise insert/sleeve or a delrin tenon.

If you're actually referring to delrin tenons, then these 2 links should help: viewtopic.php?t=1530

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Using_Delrin_Tenons

Incidently, the Pipedia article should also answer your other question in the "Stems" section on how to make a contrasting stem band/ring.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

hazmat

Post by hazmat »

So, I was reading the link that was posted to Mr. Downie's site and I noticed he said he wet sands the stem and stummel. Just curious, what does wet sanding achieve that standard, dry sanding doesn't? Curious...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Different things for different materials. For stems it would provide a slurry of abrasives and a lubricant that allow a grit of a given size to give a much smoother and finer finish than it would dry. An 800 grit wet sand would provide a superior surface than a 1200 grit dry sand.

For wood, it raises the grain, which is then sanded back down. In this case, it's helping to close all the pores of the wood and make a much smoother surface that may last a longer time - since any grain that might get raised in regular use has already been raised to some extent. At least that's my theory. But, ask a dozen pipe makers....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Also, in theory, the wet slurry constantly "washes" the sandpaper, thus keeping it fom clogging up. Especially useful with the finer grits of sandpaper. But, ask an Oversized Ostrogoth and a dozen pipe makers.... :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Yeah, I kind of expected the "ask a dozen pipemakers" phrase to pop up here, but you both answered the question and now I feel just a wee bit smarter :) Thanks, fellas.