Timberwolf Pipe 8-002

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Timberwolf

Timberwolf Pipe 8-002

Post by Timberwolf »

Pics below are a nose warmer made out of Wild Cherry - blocks gifted to me by our own "ckr" as well as some stems and stem material.

Much thanks to ckr for his support.

Looking for honest critique.

Thanks!

Image[/img]
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
alan

Post by alan »

I like the cherry. That was the first wood I used for pipes. I found it needed to be broken in a bit slower than briar, but once broken in provides a really nice smoke.

The wife and I both like the shape of the lower pipe in the last picture :)
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks Alan for your kind words. The second pipe in the picture is my first pipe that I completed this past Friday night.

I am extremely proud of it. My 8 y/o daughter has taken a liking to this pipe and won't put it down - keeps saying "its so smooth and beautiful" :D

I definitely have some shank to stem transition adjustements to make on future pipes.

In my past experience of rendering pipes that I want to "adjust" useless, I'm going to leave that one alone and enjoy the heck out of it.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Yep, the stem to shank area is where most have problems that persist. I have found it my main trouble point, but I'm getting better. As will you.

The pipe looks good for a second pipe and as said, I also like working with cherry. Love the smell as well.

As for the pipe, the stem that you used, in my opinion, doesn't flow well with that pipe. Too long from the saddle to the button for such a small pipe and your bend is a bit kinky. The shank drops in size too quickly for such a short span and doesn't look right with the size of the bowl. But it could be more the junction at the stem/shank that makes it look that way.

The drilling on the pipe looks dead on in the photo and I commend you for that, as good drilling can be hard to do for someone just starting out.

Take all this with a grain of salt, as I'm a newby too when it comes to pipe making.............

Keep it up, you'll learn quickly and really enjoy making them. I've found that no matter how a pipe looks, if you made it with your own hands, it's a keeper.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks smokindawg, for your response.

I am in total agreement with you and no grain of salt needed.

I look to this site on how to get better, and what good - scratch that - GREAT pipe crafters consider when making a pipe.

The stem was one of 3 stems I had available and it fit the best. I will be working on upping my supply bench :D

Thanks for the notes on the shank to stem transition - great input that I didn't think of!

BTW that pipe had its maiden voyage this a.m. and responded wonderfully! Love the taste of the charring cherry along with the tobacco.

Thanks again!