SEM colored swirl rods

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

SEM colored swirl rods

Post by KurtHuhn »

Regarding the swirled colors from SEM:

This is straight from SEM on the proces and requirements of the colors:
the marbled rods are produced only on request..

To produce the swirled we have to change the production line. For one production we need orders of not less than 60 meters.To give you an idea of the process..... first we produce the black hard rubber, than we produce the colour. Both have to be put in a very sensibel process in an extruder, the extruder has to be heated, because black and colour have a different consistence...To produce the different diameters, we have to change the head of the extruder, after every coloured production the whole machine has to be cleaned totaly.
So you can see it's a rather involved process. They can add any that we want to the current string of orders coming in, but it won't be ready for a few weeks.

Now, please to be understanding something here. This is not cumberland in the traditional sense of the term. I've seen and played with some thanks to forum member CKR, and it is fine ebonite indeed, but it is not the same color, nor is it the same pattern, as cumberland. It seems SEM has gotten away from referring to their product as "cumberland" as well, calling it "swirls" - which is more descriptive and more accurate.

Here is a photo of the colors:

That said, if you want swirls, let me know what color and what size. There is blue, green, red (which is actually more of a salmon color), and yellow. I'm only aware of a presumed production run for green and blue. I don't know about the other colors. If you want either, let me know ASAP.

For purposes of organization, I'm handling this somewhat separate from the ebonite order. If you want swirls, and need to change your ebonite order, please send me an email ASAP. This evening I will be sending the finalized order to SEM for the ebonite (not colors!), so send me an email some time before 19:00 Eastern, please.

I know some of you were looking for colors and wanted to change your order based on availability. Given that I'm only aware of production runs for green and blue at this time, please send me an email if that is still the case with your new order numbers.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just got word that the next production runs of color swirls will be blue and green in 20mm. The price per meter is 48 Euro. The next production run is slated to be 36mm, and the price for that is 80 Euro. I don't have an exact date, but it's in the next few weeks.

If'n ya wants some, send me an email.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I take it this order will be seperate from the black rod order?

Reguardless, count me in for one rod of each color.

Let me know details and when you want payment.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yeah this one I'm working separately. The production run is slated to be in the next 4-6 weeks, but it's entirely up in the air. The black rods, however, are all in stock and ready to be shipped.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Cool, I was wondeirng if they would produce the Cumberland colored rods.

I had emailed them about Cumberland a year or more ago, and they said they didnt have it . I worked together with them to get them to make the Cumberland.

They sent me a sample of it after they had finished coming up with it about 1yr or more ago. Im glad they put it into their production now.

I already have some on order too or else Id get in on it with you.

Brian
staffwalker
Site Supporter

SEM colored swirl rod

Post by staffwalker »

Kurt, I'll take one blue and one green.

bob gilbert