Cradled Freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bandkbrooks

Cradled Freehand

Post by bandkbrooks »

I wanted to have a pipe with multi colors. I chose to do a freehand that fades from a dark brown at the top of the bowl and end of the shank to a slightly more brown than natural at the bottom of the bowl. The freehand is cradled in a natural colored "overlay".

The edges of the overlay and the colored parts of the bowl were not quite as defined as I would have liked but hey it's my first attempt at something like this.

Let me know what you think and what I can do to get better edge separation (carving and coloring) for the two sections of the pipe.

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

You're very creative. The pipe is nicely shaped. The bend in the stem seems abrupt. Also, I think it would be nice if the contour of the bowl above the overlay matched the bowl underneath it. It seems like a very difficult pipe to make. Very good work.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

You're absolutely correct on matching the contour. You're absolutely correct on difficulty too. The contour is something I noticed and tried to correct but I got to the "ok time to finish up" point. ...next time.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
alan

Post by alan »

Nice job on the staining. Do you have a very steady hand with the brush or did you tape that off somehow?
Charl

Post by Charl »

Very interesting shape, must have taken quite a bit of time!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Nice job on the staining. Do you have a very steady hand with the brush or did you tape that off somehow?

I taped off but the edges bled. Next time I'll use a better tape and seat the edges correctly.
Last edited by bandkbrooks on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Very interesting shape, must have taken quite a bit of time!

This one did take a while as it was my first really deeply "carved/sculpture" pipe. Briar is HARD!
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty cool design. You might be able to define your edges better with micro files. Small paintbrushes could be used to apply stain but you would need a way to even it out. Perhaps you could even it out with a q-tip or something similar and denatured alcohol.
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

to get the best staining i guess you have to darkstain the whole pipe at first and sand it off to the effect you want, for the edge work a dremel is perfect and after you can use 400 grit paper on a piece of profiled wood so the sharp edges isn´t ruined.