Bad Briar

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I quote " Tighter straight grains shown on 3 sides,free of deeper-larger pits or rash sand pits. Free of smaller cracks, well cured .

I did'nt write it on their site, they DID.

Now while I don't think I will get a replacement piece of briar I do think the above description is total crap and should be removed. I understand that you can not know what is in a block of wood and that is not the argument that I am making. The argument I am making is that since you dont know what is in a piece of wood do not state on your site the the wood is free of deeper-larger pits or rash sand pits. free of smaller cracks.

Now the two questions I have are, Do any of you gentlemen know of a dealer of excellent quality briar? And the second being, Has anyone ordered briar from Parks pies in Canada?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mimmo has very excellent quality briar.

And you still find fatal flaws in them. Not often, but it happens.

I've never tried Micheal's, but all briar is going to have some blocks that won't make it.

PME may have written, "Tighter straight grains shown on 3 sides,free of deeper-larger pits or rash sand pits. Free of smaller cracks, well cured", but common sense should tell you that they can't "guarantee" the inside of a block.

Most pipe makers play the percentages and buy enough briar at a time that a fatal flaw in a block isn't going to stop production. It's a pisser for sure, knowing that you've lost a $50 block, but it happens, and you pick up the next block.

When you're buying one or two blocks at a time, it's disastrous when it happens, but it's nobody's fault.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

Let me first state that the quoted description is clearly of the outside of the block. You've stated that this is obvious. Why would you expect the description to contradict the obvious? Lesser quality blocks generally have visible holes, sand pits, branches, bald spots, etc. on the outside. Higher quality blocks are generally known by strong, dense grain, few or absent visible pits, and no visible inclusions.

Parks has pretty good briar. I've used it and it is good. It's not perfect. There may be flaws inside, regardless of the description. ;)

I think that as far as domestic suppliers go, you're best buying from PME. Their briar is consistent, and certainly worth the expense. I have purchased several hundred blocks from them over the past few years and for the money, it's worth it. If you are interested in larger quantities and don't want to buy from PME, go through Mimmo. Or if you are going to be attending shows you can occasionally find some briar for sale. Mimmo attends the Chicago show every year and you can hand pick at his table from what is left after the pro makers go through it.

Parks' briar is probably of the same quality as PME's, though I've only used a handful of blocks that he hand selected for me. All were the highest quality. Some turned out smooth, some blasted, and at least one was scrapped. It happens. ;)

Best,

Jeff
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I have been dealing with Andrea at PME for years, and she has always made good on everything.

I've taken a single XL block of tassilli and made a 3 pipe set out of it with ZERO flaws, but then again, that is the luck of the draw since no one can see into the block. But, you can read the block. Every flawed block I stumble across, I examine to the fullest and try to read the grain. I try to read the bottom of the block and see what transfers to the outside of the burl. Usually there are some characteristics that will reveal big pits over 1/4" thick, but it's hard to read for smaller pits.

I have never had that problem with the tassilli briar, but I have had it with the Cirta. I never mentioned it to her since I have had less than 5% of the blocks be duds.

I have had a VERY large order through them for a couple weeks now, and it has not been sent yet. I have no worries, it WILL show up. I think I may call her and politly inquire about the status of the order, but I still understand that they are very busy over at PME, so I would be patient, it will pay off. Usually a polite phone call works the best for me. She will probably send you a new block if you send her pictures of the dud, or even better, send her the dud block.

I kinda know where she is coming from since I have sold thousands of blocks through my ebay store I used to run. I always replaced a block as long as the dud was sent back to me. Most customers were happy with the effort in replacing the block and they continued to be returning customers. I'm sure Andrea will recognize this.

Good luck and keep us posted.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll agree with the sentiments above and sum it up in true Overgrown Ostrogoth fashion: Shit Happens Get Over It.

I've come across a block or two of Tassilli that couldn't be saved. I've also fought off flaws in Cirta and Yazid's ebauchon. I've used cheap $2 briar that turned out magnificent pipes of stunning grain. This is the gamble you take when working with wood.

Now, I'm not saying I don't curse and get irritated when it happens, because I do. I swear, I get pissed off, and usually some chunk of wood ends up embedded in the floor or wall. Once I've regained my composure however (usually associated with air guitar to Joe Satriani at skin-blistering volume), I pick up the next block and get back to work.

And if you think this is bad, just wait until you start sandblasting, and uncover the rash of subsurface flaws that process can reveal!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It's a matter of percentages. I think Jeff is right: if you bought ten blocks and they all had huge flaws, I'd send the carcasses back. Although some shipments have been better than others, I've never gotten a defect-free shipment from any supplier, and if I were to take the worst block from any of them and take that as my sample they'd all look pretty bad. Try the other pieces, maybe you just got the live round on the first spin. If you only bought one or two blocks of wood, that's not really enough to beat the odds.

Jack
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well even though I have not heard yet from Pipe Makers Emporium (closed on the weekend) I received in the mail today another block of briar. I was exited to get the box and figuring they sent another large piece of briar to replace the failed larged piece. Well it was briar alright, all be it a very small mini block of briar so I am not sure what to make of it. I will talk to them on Monday to thank them for sending a replacement and feel out if they ment to send a mini block. I know I am lucky to get anything at all but this has got me kind of perplexed.
azpipesmoker

Post by azpipesmoker »

I'm just guessing here, but the term good will gesture comes to mind. I'm in the retail business too (butcher) and if someone has a complaint about something we give them something. Usually it's something worth less than what the complaint was about, but we do it to show that we are doing our best by our customers. It seems to me this might be what they have done. I'm surprised you received a block without any contact though, did you check your spam folder in your email?
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Yup, I have to agree with Jeff and the others in that it's just part of being a pipemaker and you will come across bad blocks.

I can't count how many times I had a block that started out looking great and then all of a sudden ended up in the trash because of flaws in the wood. There were time when I had a box of about fifty blocks and only 8 were bad. Then there were time when 25 out of fifty were bad. You just have to roll with the punches and start on another one.

Jaden
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

azpipesmoker wrote: I'm surprised you received a block without any contact though, did you check your spam folder in your email?

Yeah I checked my spam folder, Nothing. this is weird, maybe I am just *!%@%$#$ up because I am more irritated now by receiving a token mini block rather than a full replacement large block but on the otherhand I am lucky to have gotten anything at all.

I need a break!
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get! :D
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Life is like a parking lot.

You don't get what you want, you take what they got.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

Charl wrote::lol: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get! :D
... and most of them are filled with crunchy frog or lark's vomit! :twisted: (Monty Python, in case you missed it)
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Charl wrote::lol: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get! :D
A prostitute is like a box of chocolates....ya gotta pay a lot to get a good one! :wink: :shock: :D
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well I took this mini and I decided what the hell. I flipped it over and made a rather nice Volcano shape. Will post pics whaen it is done.
P.S. This little piece was without flaw.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well I got a responce from Pipe Makers Emporium and here it is;

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunatley you are right we can't tell what is going to be in the briar once you get into it. We have highly known pipe makers use our briar and have said that only 1 out of a dozen or so they couldn't work with. I apologize that you have had this experience. Where the other pieces you got ok?"

Well that is that as they say.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Tsunami wrote:Well I got a responce from Pipe Makers Emporium and here it is;

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunatley you are right we can't tell what is going to be in the briar once you get into it. We have highly known pipe makers use our briar and have said that only 1 out of a dozen or so they couldn't work with. I apologize that you have had this experience. Where the other pieces you got ok?"

Well that is that as they say.
The only problem I see here is an insufficiently large sample. All briar sellers describe their wood in glowing terms, no seller can describe anything other than the outside of the block, and no seller can guarantee what's inside. Look at the blocks like lottery tickets. They have, say, 1,000 tickets. 850 are winners. Each ticket has an 85% chance of winning, %15 chance of losing. Excellent odds, but somebody has to lose, and the more tickets you buy the fewer losers you have, proportionately.

Jack
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Unfortunately that's the way it goes with briar wood. You just don't know what you are gonna get. I've been extremely pleased with the briar I have gotten from PME so far so I certainly can't complain. They also size their briar much larger than most other sources. I can often get two medium sized pipes out of one medium sized block where I can only get one pipe from other folks' briar. I recently was able to get three pipes out of one medium block. Two had great grain and the other will have to be rusticated. That in and of itself takes the sting off of a bad block of briar.