No. 5 please critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pennsyscot

No. 5 please critique

Post by pennsyscot »

Gave this pipemaking thing another shot. I should probably stick to the
traditional shapes so that I can concentrate on execution. As a result of
various errors the end product is signifigantly different from the pipe I
had envisioned. That Murphy is an S.O.B. Don'y know if my pipemaking
has improved, but my photography is definitlely better. So, now you can
see all the sand specs in vivid detail. Here's lotsa pics. As always, I
appreciate your honest opinion, criticisms, and suggestions. thanks, Scot

Cocobolo, Corian, and hand cut German Ebonite
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I like the sharp angles of the shank to the soft curve of the bowl. Nicely executed! I like the use of the cocobolo wood. Only thing that seems to bug me a little bit and very little at that is the line of the stem going into the shank is not on the same line as the shank at the tennon.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's not bad at all!

I'd give the stem a little bit of bend.

Rad
Charl

Post by Charl »

Agree with Rad, for me the stem needs just a little bit of bend.
Nicely done!
Christopher Brunton

Post by Christopher Brunton »

I'd say it's pretty striking. Good job. A couple of things I see, which are pretty minor and are things I'M still dealing with myself, are

--The bowl might be a bit too small in relation to the end of the shank. I might take a hair off the shank where it flairs (in side profile) to reduce the curve in the last 3/4 inch or so. Just a little, mind you.

---In the second picture it looks like there's a bit of a bump in the transition. (Which, I realize, probably can't be seen, except in pictures :P )

----The cocobolo might be an 1/8th inch shorter.

But, Those things I really only see in the second picture, maybe a little in the first. Overall, it looks great. The joints look clean. The lines look pretty clean (except for the bottom, just a tiny bit.). And it's got a really nice profile from the top, too.

Oh yeah, I like the straight on top/curve on the bottom shank. Smoove.

-chris

How many pipe did you say you've made?

Extra Nifty!
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Christopher Brunton wrote:I'd say it's pretty striking. Good job. A couple of things I see, which are pretty minor and are things I'M still dealing with myself, are

--The bowl might be a bit too small in relation to the end of the shank. I might take a hair off the shank where it flairs (in side profile) to reduce the curve in the last 3/4 inch or so. Just a little, mind you.

---In the second picture it looks like there's a bit of a bump in the transition. (Which, I realize, probably can't be seen, except in pictures :P )

----The cocobolo might be an 1/8th inch shorter.

But, Those things I really only see in the second picture, maybe a little in the first. Overall, it looks great. The joints look clean. The lines look pretty clean (except for the bottom, just a tiny bit.). And it's got a really nice profile from the top, too.

Oh yeah, I like the straight on top/curve on the bottom shank. Smoove.

-chris

How many pipe did you say you've made?

Extra Nifty!
My words! A very exceptional pipe though... congrats!
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

The difference between the angle of shank and the angle of the stem was intentional. Perhaps this was not such a good idea. I feel the main problem with the pipe is the shape of the bowl at the juncture with the shank, as has been pointed out. I agreed with Rad's suggestion to bend. So, I have given it a slight bend. Chris's suggestion about reshaping the shank is good, but I have choosen to leave it as is rather than chance screwing it up further. Thanks everyone for the great input.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I like the lines here. Straight top, curved bottom. The cocobolo wood presents an interesting problem. It appears to be an open grain wood (ie walnut). In wood working, I believe to get a smooth finish on walnut some type of grain filler has to be used. Is that kosher to do on a pipe?
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Brandon , that is an excellent observation. I think it would look much better with the pores filled. I have a quart of Behlen black grain fill, just never thought to use it. thanks, Scot
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Glad to help.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com