Nautilus Shell

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tsunami

Nautilus Shell

Post by Tsunami »

Here is my newest pipe. It is in the shape of a Nautilus Shell and is the first one to use a high contrast stain. The Stem is hand cut Ebonite. Hope you enjoy.

Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

:shock: WOW! No one had any comments? :shock:
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Okay, I'll comment. Nice finish. The pipe looks chunky. It could use some definition to bring the nautilus shape out of the block of wood. Don't be afraid to remove material. I think this is something that took me a few pipes to learn (and I am still learning - I repeat to myself "cut to the bone"). I always wanted to keep all that lovely grain and birdseye. Don't sacrifice the shape for the grain... the grain will still be there when you are finished.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Thanks for your comment!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with kbadkar. The spirals of the nautilus need to be more defined. I'm intriqued by your stem. It really has my gears turning.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

wdteipen wrote:I agree with kbadkar. The spirals of the nautilus need to be more defined. I'm intriqued by your stem. It really has my gears turning.

What is it about the stem that has your gears turning? I have since gave the stem a gentle curve as to tilt the pipe champer forward more. I had thought about defining the swirl of the shell more but I wanted it to be a suggestion of a Nautilus shell rather than a duplication of a Nautilus shell. I may do one in the future that is more realistic looking. I know the pictures make it look chunky but it feels really good in the hand.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Tsunami wrote:
I know the pictures make it look chunky but it feels really good in the hand.
Take all comments here with a grain of salt. In the end, you are the one who needs to be happy with what you create. If you sell them, then after you are happy, the customer needs to be happy with what you create. And that's the whole ball of wax.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Tsunami wrote:
wdteipen wrote:I agree with kbadkar. The spirals of the nautilus need to be more defined. I'm intriqued by your stem. It really has my gears turning.

What is it about the stem that has your gears turning? I have since gave the stem a gentle curve as to tilt the pipe champer forward more. I had thought about defining the swirl of the shell more but I wanted it to be a suggestion of a Nautilus shell rather than a duplication of a Nautilus shell. I may do one in the future that is more realistic looking. I know the pictures make it look chunky but it feels really good in the hand.
I like how your stem is incorporated into the shape of the shank. I have a pipe that I have set aside because I haven't figured out how to attach a stem in a way that isn't abrupt. Something similar to what you've done here may be my answer.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

What I did was drill the draught hole and the mortice for the tennon. Then I counter sank with a small forsner bit (3/4). Then I shaped the stem to flow into the pipe.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I agree. That stem transition is a thing of beauty.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com