An up and comer

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Christopher Brunton

An up and comer

Post by Christopher Brunton »

Well, this post is for the pros mostly, and I'll tell you why in a minute.
I've discovered a new pipe maker. She's going to be tough competition for a lot of you, so, I hope you're sitting down.

(I was going to post this in the gallery, but she's so good she's not interested in anyone else's opinion. Including mine :shock: I told her that most of the pros would probably have sanded to around 600 before going to the felt markers and paint pens. But she tells me you'll all be doing it this way soon.)

Anyway- here I present for the first time in public, the work of my four year old daughter, Emily.

(My ten year old boy is starting to turn tampers and chess pieces on the lathe, too. That's why I mentioned the pros.....Look out, it's a family thing now. Maybe we'll even be a pipe Mafia. Hmmm Godfather Chris. I like it.) :lol:

O.K., so I turned the wood (Giant sized closet dowel) down to a manageable size and helped her get started drilling the holes. She did the rest, hole drilling too, including sanding on the hard and soft disks on the lathe. When she accidentally ran her finger into the spinning disk she made sure to respond "That didn't hurt!"--Just like Dad....

-chris

p.s. Em just told me that later, when she has more time, she'll come and (maybe) give me a quote to post. Her time is tight. Bikes to ride, beetles to catch and all that.

Frank

Re: An up and comer

Post by Frank »

Christopher Brunton wrote:When she accidentally ran her finger into the spinning disk she made sure to respond "That didn't hurt!"--Just like Dad....
If she were in my workshop when that happens to me, she'd be learning a whole new vocabulary! :twisted:

Not bad for a 4 year old. Believe it or not, I've actually seen worse looking pipes.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
flix

Post by flix »

Oh, boy, I'm hanging up the calipers now! Can't compete with cute...
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's pretty cute. And it's giving me all kinds of ideas for my next pipe. I really like to learn from the masters. :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

Would certainly make the pipes in my piperack look better!
Got the looks, maybe another Nanna Ivarsson in the making? 8)
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That's a "keeper" for sure. Very cute kid too.