#19 - Opinions Wanted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BD

#19 - Opinions Wanted

Post by BD »

I would love some feed back from everyone - be brutally honest please!

1.4 ounces
Tobacco chamber is 1" in diameter 1.2" deep
Length 5"
Height 1.5"

The things I see:
Stain in the bowl - I meant to sand that out before taking the pic!!

The rustication should be deeper. There is a place at the stem/stummel junction where I got too close rusticating and it looks like a gap.

Should have cleaned up the funnel/slot in the button and polished it up.

What else??

Thanks in advance!
Bill
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

The rustication isn't to bad, but I think It would be better if it looked more natural. It looks as if it was created with a dremel. You may be able to create a rougher more random pattern with one of the nail type tools. It would be nice if there was a band of smooth briar to ease the transition from rustication to polished stem. The taper might look better if were a straight even taper rather than sloped. Aside from the gap at the shank to stem junction, it apears to be a very nice pipe. I'm just a rook, the more experienced makers will give a better critique.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like this pipe. I even like the rustication as it is. The only thing I see that caught my eye that hasn't already been mentioned is that your stem starts out wider than the end of your shank creating a bit of a bulge there. It should taper. There also seems to be a very slight uneven slant to the top of the bowl. That may just be the picture/illusion though. Again, nice work.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The stem in this case seems to bulge out from the shank a little. Try to keep the diameter of the stem the same as, or less than, the shank diameter until you reach an area where it can flare out for the bit width you need. This is usually just after the point where you begin the taper down for the thin section of the bit.

I applaud the use of green cumberland, but it just doesn't go with the color of the stummel. It creates a clash of colors that is difficult to overcome. In this case, red cumberland would be more appropriate.

In the top shot it appears that the shank may actually become narrower near the bowl. This may be due to the rustication, and if so it's easy to avoid. Trever Talbert had a posting in his blog not too long ago about sandblasting, and the same points can be used for rustication as well. You want to make the pipe diameters larger than you would if you were going to make it smooth, then rusticate as deep as you want. Sometimes you don't get that chance (hidden flaws, etc) so you have to modify the shape of the pipe slightly.

On this pipe, I think a saddle bit would work better. That may be my own preference however.

To avoid strange gaps at the stem where rustication is, leave a smooth band of wood there. You can either have an abrupt change, or just lightly reduce your rustication depth as you get closer to the stem so that there's a transition.

That's all I see for now.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BD

Post by BD »

Thanks for the input. I have learned a lot from everyone on this site and truly appreciate the time and experience that is shared here.
Bill