Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

One of the bettter pieces of wild olive so far. But I'm not happy with the results.
One of the big problems I had with this one was gettting the shank and stem joint to join up flush, and it is still not perfect. I have one of those real small DIY type drillpresses and I think that somehow the table move a bit when I drill with the forstner. Resulting in endless frustration to get everything squared up! Anybody have an idea about what to do to correct it?
Then somehow I got the shank offline, there is a couple of bumps on the shank and stem that I only noticed on the photos, etc. I'm sure you will tell me all about the rest!
Any ideas or suggestions?
Källman

Post by Källman »

Finally some more olives! And now cracks either! Its great that you continue with your experiments. You will learn a lot from them. Iv always liked the poker and its a shape im planning on working alot with.

I would always aim for a straight line from bottom to top of the stummel. the lower left corner of the stummel, seen in profile (picture two), looks a little off, compared to the top. Also, i think the shank length and stummel height is critical. Your shank feels a little over-sized and the stummel a little small. The tapering of the stem could be smoother aswell, to give the pipe a shape that naturally flows from stem to stummel. The stem could, aswell, be shorter, but i guess thats just personal preference. I like pokers short and well-defined.

If i had it in my hands, i would put more work on the shank- giving the transition from shank to stummel more definition, work on a smoother tapering and perhaps shorten the shank and stem, and perhaps look into a more cylindrical shaped stummel, if it possible, depending on how you drilled it.

Im guessing this is the natrual color of it. Have you tried any different dyes? I wonder how a dark green would look on it.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

These olivewood pipes sure do have a nice grain and finish very nicely. In the third pic it appears that the shank is not in alignment with the tabacco chamber. I agree with Kallman's comments about the shank-stem transition and the stem taper. I also like the poker shape, but prefer the pipe to stand. Maybe if the stem had an upward angle or the bottom of the bowl were angled it would balance. Still, a nice pipe.
Charl

Post by Charl »

When making a pipe, you sometimes, just sometimes, get a pipe that you just glide through from start to finish. Little hiccups might happen, but you just brush those little buggers aside and finish in a flourish. This one was the opposite......... :filth-n-foul:
So, yes sometimes I do just want to finish a pipe and get it over and done with.
Yes, I confess, I am guilty of not putting so much effort into this one :yield: :oops:
This one does have one very very light layer of yellow stain. The staining on scrap pieces didn't impress me at all, although I am busy trying different ways at present for research. Oh, and sorry Kalmann, I'm unfortunately one of those guys for who green on a pipe just doesn't go, so I'll give it a skip, sorry.