Dr. Grabow knowledge

General pipe discussion
Schubeck

Dr. Grabow knowledge

Post by Schubeck »

Anyone here a Dr. Grabow fan? I know they are a low end pipe these days, but to my knowledge, they were pretty nice back in the 50's. A friend of mine came a cross a 1958 Dr. Grabow Belvidere, bulldog style pipe the other day. He found it in a box that was post marked 58', and it had the original pamplet in it and everything. The pipe had never been smoked, and aparently was mailed to this individual up in Deleware in the fall of 58'. I can't seem to find any information on it, but he did take it to the antique roadshow the other day. The person couldn't tell him much about it, but he did say that it wasn't worth no more then 60 or so dollars. Anybody got any input to this? Thanks.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Check out Ebay for pricing on Grabows. They're a dime a dozen. The value of your buddy's pipe is the fact that it hasn't been smoked and comes with those historical goodies... there's a phrase for it, but it's slipped my mind.
Frank

Post by Frank »

kbadkar wrote:The value of your buddy's pipe is the fact that it hasn't been smoked and comes with those historical goodies... there's a phrase for it, but it's slipped my mind.
Provenance.

At one stage I went a bit "ebay crazy" buying estate lots. After picking out the worthwhile "resellers" I ended up selling the crap as-is, mostly Grabows, in two lots of 60+ pipes just to be rid of them. The return on Grabows isn't worth the refurb effort. Fortunately, I've now come to my senses.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Källman

Post by Källman »

..ebay crazy..
Know what you mean. There are so many pipes on the bay that people cant keep track of all of them. Sometimes you run across something really good. Iv always bought a little too much on ebay, but i havent gone into the estate-lot fever yet.