Storing Briar

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Schubeck

Storing Briar

Post by Schubeck »

Is there a certain place that briar needs to be stored? Can it soak up humidity out of the air? I live in the south, and it is humid as all get out down here. I have it stored in my house rather then in my work shop, so i dont think that it will hurt it, but i was just wondering if anyone had an idea what to do with it (other then to make a pipe with it). thanks.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

My experience with most woods is that you're a lot less likely to be surprised by cracks, warping, etc., if your wood has close to the same moisture content today, while you're working it, as it will have many years from now, in service.

But when you're talking about a piece of briar that will be smoked (i.e. steamed), soaked in alcohol, left to dry, re-smoked, re-soaked in alcohol, left in the car in the summer sun, yada, yada, yada, I think pretty much all deals are off.

Still, if you can avoid any real extremes with regard to temperature and humidity, that would probably be a good way to go.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I think the best way to be sure your briar is going to be in good shape, is to store it in the type of environment where it will spend the rest of it's life.

I keep mine in my house, on a set of wire racks to promote air circulation. I don't suggest anyone leave their briar anywhere where there are temperature extremes or huge swings in humidity - like in a shed out back or a non-temp-controlled garage.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com