Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Another wild olive, another crack and another one for myself. (By the way, anyone know where I can get hold of cheap piperacks? Seems like I'm running out of space!) This pipe have one very light layer of yellow stain. I couldn't try to get rid of the crack, as the bottom is quite thin.
Tell me what you think.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's some beautiful grain on that olivewood. Nice shape, stem, and finish too. Very nice work. I keep holding my breath for one without a crack.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Very nice indeed! Can i ask how you finish the pipes? I cant seem to get that level of shine on olive wood with just buffing.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

That's a great pipe. Very nicely shaped. You've made great progress on the stem work. I'd also be interested in the details of the finish.
RussAlan

Post by RussAlan »

It seems like olive wood is quite the fickle foe. Some stunning grain on that pipe though. Well done
www.russalanpipes.com

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, the cannons dont thunder, theres nothin' to plunder, Im an over [20] victim of fate...arriving to late"
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nothing magical with the finish, I think it's mainly the wood's own characteristics that gives it the nice shine.
I sand till 800 grit, making sure that I sand everywhere and get all the scratches out grit by grit, then tripoli and carnauba.
Källman

Post by Källman »

Nothing magical with the finish...
I agree. The grain does all the talking. Very, very nice shape aswell! The straight top makes the lines collaborate smoothly.

It would be real fun to see what olive would look like sand blasted! Future project perhaps? :)