finally found some shop time

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

finally found some shop time

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've been absolutely balls to the wall here for the last couple months, and my shop time has been severely restricted as a result. Fortunately, I managed to score a day off to go with the already long weekend, and found myself in the shop every day this weekend.

This gem came about because of a prior accident. I knocked the shank of this one off when I wasn't paying attention to the lathe and swung a gouge in the wrong direction. I set it aside and forgot about it for about a year. As luck would have it, I found it again going through the drawers in the workshop looking for something else. I decided to give it a bamboo shank since I haven't done squat with bamboo in ages, and then sandblast the entire thing.

I forget who first showed off a sandblasted bamboo shank, but I recall very clearly that Love recently showed one. I figured, heck, why not, and went to town. I am *very* pleased with how this one turned out.

On to the pics...
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

Nice pipe Kurt.
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

why the unstained part?
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nicely done, Kurt!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

nepenthes wrote:why the unstained part?
That's where the stamp is, and that area was left unblasted. It's not actually unstained, it's just that it's less stained than the sandblasted portion - a side effect of the bamboo skin not taking stain anywhere near as well as the area that's been beaten to smithereens.

If it was for sale, I would have worked a little more on blending the two together, but this was an experiment in finishing technique, and I kind of like the contrast.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Senatorov

Post by Senatorov »

Very interesting pipe. :)
Pipe Senatorov
www.senatorov.lv
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks! It smokes like dream, too. I filled it full of Mississippi Mud and took the daily trek from Boston. It tasted fine, but I have a suspicion this pipe is more suited to 1792 (Cobb Flake). Idon't know why I think that, it just seemed to be asking for that tobacco.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Great looking pipe. I think the apple and prince shapes look very nice with long bamboo shanks.