Pipe 1 - The Mushroom

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

Pipe 1 - The Mushroom

Post by achduliebe »

Well, here is the unveiling of my first pipe making attempt. I still have the sanding and polishing to do. I create this pipe using a hand drill, drill press, rasps, files and dremel. I fealt like the stummel is too big for a churchwarden, but the more I work on it and am very satisfied for a fist try. I am interested in everybody's comments.

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... s&album=33

My drilling on the draught hole came out a little to the left of center, but I hope to correct that issue with pipe 2.

I will post more pictures of the finished product in a couple of days. I am very pumped about my first attempt and looking forward to the next attempt (which will be a gift for one of my brothers).
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Bryan : I like it. I think when you finnish it out sanding/stain you will see a big difference. Over all I like the flow.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Pooka for your comments. I still have a lot of work to do on it. And beleive it or not I am not a big LOTR fan, I like the movies but they were not an inspiration in the making of this pipe. I had a desire for a churchwarden to add to my existing pipes and could not find one that I particularly liked. So, having a desire to start making my own pipes, I decided to start with a churchwarden of my own design.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks for your comments JMB, I am sooo anxious to get this pipe finished. This pipe has been such a learning experience, I can't wait to get it completed and smoke tested. Then get on to my next pipe.

Thanks again.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

lol I too couldn't wait, so I smoked my 1st one when I got it ruffed out. Didn't hurt it a bit. Thats what great about Pipes, even the ugly ones can smoke OK.

[quote= I can't wait to get it completed and smoke tested. Then get on to my next pipe.
hiway

Post by hiway »

Congrats on your first pipe! You'll get an extra helping of satisfaction when you sit back and smoke a pipe that you made to meet your requirements. It has a nice organic shape and it looks huge. Don't worry about the draft hole being off center - you won't notice it all when you smoke it.

I'd suggest re-bending the stem with a gentler curve. A larger radius curve would be more in tune with the curves of the bowl. Use the curve along the bottom of the stummel/shank as a guide. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy your new pipe. :D

Dave
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comments. As for the curve of the stem, that is a great suggestion. I will give that a try this evening.

Thanks again.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Random,

Thanks for the comments. I am a big fan of your work and I really appreciate your thoughts. As for the grain, last night after taking these pictures and posting them I did some sanding on the stummel. I sanded pretty good with some 220 grit. When I was finished I soaked a couple of cotton balls in some alcohol and rubbed down the stummel and the grain just to get a feel for the look. I was very pleased. I am very excited about completing it and taking it for a spin, so to speak.

Thanks again for your inspiring comments.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool Bryan. I like the organic feel of it. And the churchwarden stem really adds to it. Nice job.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Nick!

I really appreciate it!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com