Whale bone stems?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Whale bone stems?

Post by kbadkar »

Has anyone ever tried using Whale Bone Stems? Is whale bone a decent stem material? I don't see how some of the stem shapes could have been turned and carved with such apparent consistency. They seem to be cast, but you can't cast bone. Just curious about other's opinions.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Using it to make straight stems shouldn't be a problem.

Before the invention of plastics, it was used to stiffen corsets and men's shirt collars, so it possibly has some flexibility. As to whether it can be heated and bent, that remains for experimentation by you, provided it's easily obtainable.

On the other hand, I'm not too wild about whale hunting in this day and age.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I've never seen one.

Do you have a link?

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

One of the coolest stem materials I've seen is albatross bone, used for extensions on library pipes. I've only seen it on antiques, I can't imagine the trouble it would be to get today.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

RadDavis wrote:I've never seen one.

Do you have a link?

Rad
The link is in the original post. Click on "Whale Bone Stems" in the first sentence. If you want to buy, hurry, there's only 2 hours left on the auction... reserve hasn't been met yet.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hooboy. Yeah, those are handmade alright. I suppose you could come up with a usable and comfortable stem from one, but you'd put a lot of time and effort into it. The word "chunky" somehow falls short.

Personally, I'd rather stick with the synthetics, and leave the bone and ivory to accent pieces.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

kbadkar wrote:The link is in the original post. Click on "Whale Bone Stems" in the first sentence.
Ahh, I see. :idea: The stems are already premade. I also missed the link. Doesn't look like it'll reach the reserve.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

kbadkar wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I've never seen one.

Do you have a link?

Rad
The link is in the original post. Click on "Whale Bone Stems" in the first sentence. If you want to buy, hurry, there's only 2 hours left on the auction... reserve hasn't been met yet.
Dang. The auction's over.

Maybe our esteemed administrator could arrange for links to appear more prominently than dark grey type in the midst of black type. :P

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

C'mon, Rad, don't tell me you *wanted* those. Green Cumberland is distinctive enough. :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:Maybe our esteemed administrator could arrange for links to appear more prominently than dark grey type in the midst of black type. :P
Ask, and ye shall receive! 8)

It should appear as a brown now, or sepia, or whatever that color is.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com