Stain

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
dougk52

Stain

Post by dougk52 »

Can you give me a recomentation for best places to buy stains? I have build 6 all natural pipes and want to start a series of stained ones.

Thanks,
Doug
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Tandy leather company or any other shop that has leather supplies - Fiebings leather dye - alcohol based dye - lots-o-colors.
Bob Oakley

Post by Bob Oakley »

No Tandy shops close by so I have found Fiebings Dyes at Shoe Repair shops. They also are more than willing to order in colors for me that they do not stock.
Bob Oakley
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

You might try Pimo. I have gotten powdered stain from them. Just mix the packet with 2oz denatured alcohol (shot glass is 2oz). I know Tim West offers stain. I have been experimenting with mixing and layering stain.
Good luck
Tsunami
www.kuzielpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I recently ordered some aniline dyes from woodworker.com to try. Has anyone else tried these dyes?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Since California banned Fiebing's, I ordered mine from these guys awhile back: http://www.montanaleather.com/fiebingdyes-a.htm

They got some of my order wrong, different colours from my order. I sent them a friendly email, but let them know that it wasn't a big deal, I could use the dyes anyway. The owner/manager was so conscientious, he sent me the 6 correct colours, no charge. Now that's what I call integrity. Try finding that in Los Angeles.
Last edited by Frank on Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

Thank all very much for the quick reply's I will order today.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have used both tandy and fiebings... both work fine. Just an FYI.
Spence Pipes

Stain

Post by Spence Pipes »

I have used powder stain from Pimo, and Fiebings. I really like the way Fiebings made the pipes look. A lot easier to mix and you get more than powder. I do not think Tim West carry's dye's any longer. The last order I placed with him a few months ago, he said he didn't carry them.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I use the ones from woodworkers.com

Rad
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

I ordered the fiebings from Tandys on Monday and got it last night. Already started staining. I like the way it goes on. Can't wait to get home an buff and apply the second color.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I got a chance to mix up the aniline dyes I recently ordered from woodworkers.com and I really like the colors. They seem to be top quality and the color options are limitless. They were a bit on the pricey side but the 1 oz powdered stain will go a very long way so probably cheaper in the long run.