keeping it lit

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
android

keeping it lit

Post by android »

hey guys, i'm having a hard time keeping my bowls lit. does this indicate too packed or not packed enough? and it seems like i always just smoke a hole down the middle of the tobacco. can't ever get a good, even burn like a cigar or something. any tips?

thanks. :?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

It sounds like you are packing the bowl too tight.

Take a draw off the pipe empty. Then compare the draw after packing and before lighting. You should notice only a slight resistance compared to empty. If you notice more than a little resistance, dump it out and start over. Err on the side of loose and I think you'll notice very different burn characteristics... and it shouldn't go out on you. Soon, you'll find your happy medium. As you perfect your packing technique, you'll discover you need to adjust the pack according the individual pipe (bowl size and shape, airhole size, etc) and tobacco cut and moisture content. Before you know it, it'll be entirely intuitive.

But now that I think about it, an ash tunnel straight down with sides that don't burn and it goes out quickly could also be from packing too loose?
Last edited by kbadkar on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A couple questions:
- What type/style of tobacco?
- What diameter tobacco chamber?
- How deep is the tobacco chamber?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
android

Post by android »

it seems to happen with all types of tobacco, just in general, it seems to happen... haven't measured any of my bowls yet, I'll report back when i get a chance to. but i did try a looser pack this weekend and it has me headed in the right direction... thanks for the advice.
android

Post by android »

i can't remember the official name of the method, but it was a German fella on youtube or something where he showed how to pack the pipe... I've tried that a few times but it seems to put way too much tobacco into the pipe. first off, does anyone know what i speak of and do you have any success with it?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I think you're talking about the Frank packing method. The key is to not jam the tobacco in there or to make a tight plug to push down. You "roll" it loosely into the bowl. It's only tight on the very top. This way you can keep a packed bowl in your shirt pocket and it won't empty out, but it's loose enough just below the rim that once you get a good char light going, the draw opens right up.

I combine the air pocket method with the Frank method. That just means that I leave a little air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. The air pocket seems to help the tobacco burn with a "clean" taste and I don't have a goopy mess of dottle when I get to the bottom. The tobacco does end up at the bottom after the first tamping, but it stays drier and therefore I combust almost all the tobacco.
Benton

Post by Benton »

kbadkar wrote:II combine the air pocket method with the Frank method. That just means that I leave a little air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. The air pocket seems to help the tobacco burn with a "clean" taste and I don't have a goopy mess of dottle when I get to the bottom. The tobacco does end up at the bottom after the first tamping, but it stays drier and therefore I combust almost all the tobacco.
I'm a fan of the air pocket method, too. It only really works well for ribbon cuts, though. The long strands drape over the top of the bowl so that they don't fall in by gravity and you can work them in about 2/3 of the way down with a tamper, leaving a 1/3 air space. As you keep filling the air space will get compressed down to 1/4 or 1/5 of the bowl and the top will be relatively tight.

For cube cut I gravity fill up to the rim and tamp down to 1/16" below the rim. Starting with the tobacco just below the rim seems to give a more complete initial light, which goes a long way to making it last a long time. The relights never seem to last as long as the first one, so its better to get it started right the first time.
android

Post by android »

i think one of my problems is i wasn't putting enough tobacco in the bowl. i was being really timid with tamping. i watched all the videos youtube had to offer and saw that i wasn't putting nearly the amount of tobacco in my bowls as others. i know youtube isn't an authority on bowl packing, but it showed me the right direction. my last few pipes have been much more enjoyable than those previous.

thanks for the suggestions.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Wow! Gravity feed?

I remember the first time I read about it. I thought this guy is crazy!!

I just open the pouch, stick pipe in and do the THUMB-METHOD!

:lol: :lol: