looking for a mildly sweet tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
clifton

looking for a mildly sweet tobacco

Post by clifton »

i am looking for a good mild tobacco... one that has a sweet taste to it... not overwhelmingly sweet but kind of like a swisher sweet cigar... any suggestions and where is a good place online to get it...
A piece of God's Workmanship,
Clifton Phelps
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Clifton.. I'm going to suggest anything in what would be considered the "black cavendish" variety of 'baccys. A few examples would be:

Benjamin Hartwell - Evening Stroll
Butera - Royal Vintage Sweet Cavendish

These are two off the top of my head I can think of. There are MANY MANY MANY varieties of "black cavendish" type tobaccos out there. Some are god-awful and others are in some ways heavenly.

Oh.. another that's a bit on the sweet side, and I'd say mild, as well, is GL Pease Barbary Coast. Tasty stuff.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's worth noting that "sweet" will vary based on your body chemistry. Sounds strange, but it's true. The stuff that a lot of folks call sweet, I find acrid and painful. For instance, anything straight virginia seems to burn the crap out of my tongue from the moment it's lit. However, I find heavy latakia , perique, and oriental blends to have a pleasant and mild sweetness. Mississippi Mud is one of these, and I don't think I've heard anyone refer to it as having a sweet taste.

--Kurt
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a Swisher Sweet ... Wow, flashback to fishing trips ... me and various buddies from high school on various fishing trips around Missouri. Hummm, good stuff.

Anywho, I'm a big fan of Lane RLP-6. It's not nearly as sweet as a Swisher Sweet, but it does have just the faintest hint of "vanilla" (more than likely deertongue, actually).

I smoke the crap out of that stuff, though. Probably 1/4 pound a week. And it's real easy on the tongue.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If you want something naturally sweet (no flavorings or casing) I'd suggest Orlik's Golden Sliced or McCranie's Red Ribbon. My tongue chemistry says sweet, with no bite. It's not going to be like a Swisher Sweet's sweetness, but that's a good thing.