Pipe stands

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jchamb

Pipe stands

Post by jchamb »

I've read in a couple of other threads about folks making pipe stands out of leftover briar or blocks. Although I have several racks, I'd like to make me a single pipe stand or two to rest my pipe after smoking.

So any tips or instructions in this area? I'm kinda assuming that I'd make an "L" shape, then hollow out a little channel for the bowl and stem of the pipe to rest in. I have no idea how to do this, but I guess a sanding drum on my press should work.

Any suggestions or other ideas? Not looking for anything fancy, I just want to have my pipe 'stand up' after I've finished smoking it.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

Thanks for the tips. I made one out of yet another chunk of mesquite, and I think it looks quite good!

john
JMB

Post by JMB »

Been thinking on this (boy it hurts too). Don't know the drying time on mesquite
The ones used for BBQ I am sure has not gone in a Kiln. More like air & sun dried. Don't think that would get all the moister out. I have a buddy down in McAllen, TX that has BBQ place. He use big log's of it to cook. Has 4 big smokers. He is also a wood worker, will give him a call and get his ideas.
jchamb wrote:Thanks for the tips. I made one out of yet another chunk of mesquite, and I think it looks quite good!

john
jeff

Post by jeff »

I would be interested to see some photos of pipe stands that anyone has made. It would be great to get some ideas for the future. I'm always looking for interesting ways to use my scraps or a bad piece of briar.

Jeff
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I would really like to see some photos as well. Anyone making pipe stands willing to show them off?
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I posted a photo my my "mesquite chunk" pipe rest with my latest pipe.
JMB

Post by JMB »

That's great John. But where did you post them?
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

In the photo gallery, in the album named "jchamb". It's shown in the photo of my lastest pipe (Pipe 9)
JMB

Post by JMB »

Like everything about it John. Great shape. The wife really loves the "band." You did a outstanding job on the "pipe rest" Matches up great with the Pipe itself. How did you turn the "tamper" Looks like you just waxed it, or did you stain? The Pipe I mean.
I'm thinking about working in Mesquite also. Two reason, first less $$$ for a beginner and no down time waiting on a shipment. Just walk out in back and pick up a piece. lol

jchamb wrote:In the photo gallery, in the album named "jchamb". It's shown in the photo of my lastest pipe (Pipe 9)
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I turned the tamper on my new toy - a Taig lathe, then shaped the "spoon" on a sanding drum. The tamper and pipe came from the same piece of briar.

That chunk of mesquite was in my BBQ bag - so I saved it from an untimely death by using the sanding drum to cut out a pipe rest.

Oh, the pipe rest has a couple of coats of polyurethane, but the pipe and tamper were sanded down to 1500 grit, then thoroughly worked over with tripoli, that white diamond compound (whatever it's called) and carnuba wax.

All three items were given a light coat of stain - a thin mix of brown mahogany with a few drops of cherry mixed in (from Pimo). I use an eyedropper and experiment around mixing stains all the time.

Thanks for the compliments!

john
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi jchamb

beautiful work on your ebony and ivory pipe. neat idea to make a stand and tamper for it as well. beautiful stem work did you hand-cut it or is
it a worked blank and if it is can you from who and what size. very beautiful stem- it looks like a saddle and then when you look at it- it
seems the top is a very slight triangle shape w/ a slight taper to the button. beautiful work on the whole package

jim