Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Trizub

Post by Trizub »

Howdy all, I've been a lurker here for quite some time and decided to finally post a few pipes that i've recently made. Any and all comments and critique are very welcome.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Trizub on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Looking good! I especially like the last piece.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, I'll agree with Nick. I like the last one too.

Although the first one have a lot of potential too. Just had to take more off the foot (I think it's called that!) to make it more into a horn shape.

But don't listen to me, I'm just another newbie like you. I'm sure the pro's will have something to say too!

By the way, thanks for showing!

Charl
sethile

Post by sethile »

Welcome to posting! Heck of a way to come out of lurking, my friend. Nice work!

I especially like the second to the last pipe. That's a very pleasing shape to my eye. It would be great to see more angles. The second pipe sure has nice birdseye on the bottom. You're clearly doing a good job with fit and finish. Looks like your lurking has involved a good deal of reading and application to me! In general, I think I'd like to see a little more definition between the shank and bowls on each of these pipes, except perhaps the first one, where it works nicely to let them flow together without any particular definition.

It seems you are well on your way already! How many pipes have you made?
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Frank

Post by Frank »

sethile wrote:In general, I think I'd like to see a little more definition between the shank and bowls on each of these pipes, except perhaps the first one, where it works nicely to let them flow together without any particular definition.
Tyler made the same observation about most new pipemakers being overly cautious about cutting back closer to the bowl.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Trizub

Post by Trizub »

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been at it on and off for about 2 years, and have made about 20 pipes. I agree with the comments about the shaft/bowl junction, I confess, I've been a bit lazy but hopefully with the addition of a good sanding wheel, that aspect will improve.
I have to say that this forum has been an encyclopedia of knowledge for me. Without sitting down and actually observing the process its very difficult to learn correctly, however this forum has been a godsend. Keep up the good work!!!!!