Added a new pipe today -

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

Added a new pipe today -

Post by hollywood »

Just finished my latest pipe this afternoon. Inspired by some of my favorite carvers; this Volcano has beautiful swooping lines and a wonderful feel in the hand. There is a fantastic mix of straight and flame grain all around; with stand out birdseye on the bottom. A hand shaped stem of an amberish swirl colored acrylic blends in well but gives just the right contrast. With just a bit tighter and more straight graining; this would have been a very high grade. I used a multi-step staining process to bring out it's best.

Please let me know what you think.

Volcano 1:

Height - 2.25
Length - 5.25
Width - 2.125
Chamber Diameter - 1.00
Chamber Depth - 1.35
Weight - 77g

Dave-
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

I think I know what you're saying. It's a little less conventionally designed for sure. It's hard to capture in pictures, but I tried to get the flow of the back curve of the bowl to rise into the top of the shank. Adds a different element and ended up necessary to eliminate a few flaws in the wood in that location.

Dave-
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Looks like a very nice piece of work. Congratulations.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hehe.. hollywood's a machine :) Beautiful work!!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

thanks, Matt. maybe if the machine is 'out of order'!?Image

seriously though. i have to think that this one is soooo close to being there. i just keep looking at it trying to find flaws and things that should be there telling me I'm not ready to be doing this. i hope it is just a matter of experience and time; that tells me i am.

i need to go make more pipes.
Dave-