Finished my No. 5 today .....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

Finished my No. 5 today .....

Post by hollywood »

I was in progress of working on two other pipes; when I read a recent comment on new carvers and their learning curve. It hit home a bit and I thought about it quite a while. While I can't totally agree on "copying" another pipe exactly; but that concept of recreating similar works by much more experienced or master carvers is a great way to figure out the techniques used by those that have gotten it right after years of work. Will ours as new carvers be perfect? Not bloody likely; but we hopefully can learn much along the way.

That said; I decided to pick a style of pipe that I really have admired, and make my own go at an impression of it. Now I didn't have the same briar, materials, or tools as the original carver; however I wasn't going to allow that to get in the way. Time to learn how to improvise.

I think it turned out pretty nice. Still not "complete" without a buffing station to shine it up on. My first with shaping the stem, drilling and setting a delrin tenon, and drilling the mortise and airway. Managed to do it freehand even, and get it pretty darned close to perfect. A little room for improvement still on the connection between the briar and extension.

Let me know what you think. Can you figure out which carver I was modeling?

Dave-
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Had to lessen the bend in the stem. Just was too much!

Dave-
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Well, hollywood, I haven't had a chance to tell you yet, but I have really liked your designs thus far, and you are doing amazingly well on your first pipes.

I am glad that you straightened out the stem as you did, because that was the one thing that really jumped out at me.

And I'm guessing it jumped out at you as well, once you had a chance to step back from it a bit and look.

This is something we all need to do on a periodic basis, because we are oftentimes too close to a project to see the obvious.

Very nice.
flix

Post by flix »

Sorry, no guess, just a question: what is the extension material?

Nice pipe, btw. I like it...with the newer bend.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Took a couple of new pictures after I re-did my finish. I set up a small buffing station this weekend. I used a small grinder motor; took off both wheels and added arbors with 6" pads. Might still be too fast, but it worked pretty well compared to nothing.

Dave-
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice bud. The only critique I would really have is that the bottom portion of the bowl doesn't have any angle to it. Most bulldogs have a slant base and top. This one seems only to have the top slanted. Is that clear?

Let me see if I can find a picture.

Here's a good one: Image

Note how the portion of the pipe below the bead is not perpendicular to the ground.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Not quite clear on what angle you're referring to. Here's a better picture of the bottom.

Dave-
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hollywood wrote:Took a couple of new pictures after I re-did my finish. I set up a small buffing station this weekend. I used a small grinder motor; took off both wheels and added arbors with 6" pads. Might still be too fast, but it worked pretty well compared to nothing.

What speed does the grinder spin at? I used a standard bench grinder to buff on for several years until I got something lower speed. I never had too many problems getting a decent finish once I figured out not to push too terribly hard on the wheels.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

hazmat wrote: What speed does the grinder spin at? I used a standard bench grinder to buff on for several years until I got something lower speed. I never had too many problems getting a decent finish once I figured out not to push too terribly hard on the wheels.
Don't know, Matt. I'm guessing around 1500-1800. Wouldn't it be better if I could get it under 1000?
Dave-
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hollywood wrote:
hazmat wrote: What speed does the grinder spin at? I used a standard bench grinder to buff on for several years until I got something lower speed. I never had too many problems getting a decent finish once I figured out not to push too terribly hard on the wheels.
Don't know, Matt. I'm guessing around 1500-1800. Wouldn't it be better if I could get it under 1000?
Hehe.. ask a dozen pipemakers..... :)

The one I started with was... 3450? something around there, standard bench grinder speed. You should get fine results with 1500-1800 once you get your methods worked out. Play with it for a bit and see how it works for you. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Frank

Post by Frank »

1500-1800 rpm is quite acceptable. Under 1000 rpm might, in fact, be a bit too slow. It's the 3450 rpm motors that can scorch the briar and stems if you're not careful.
If the grinder has a label giving the volts, amps, hp, etc., it might also give the rpm's of the motor.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Frank wrote:1500-1800 rpm is quite acceptable. Under 1000 rpm might, in fact, be a bit too slow. It's the 3450 rpm motors that can scorch the briar and stems if you're not careful.
If the grinder has a label giving the volts, amps, hp, etc., it might also give the rpm's of the motor.
i will keep at it until i get it right ........ or get another motor. this one is older than me and came out of my late grandfather's basement.
Dave-
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

may I ask how you added the shank extension? or is just glued on with no other support? nice pipe too
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

James Sunderland wrote:may I ask how you added the shank extension? or is just glued on with no other support? nice pipe too
This extension was epoxied directly to the shank. Would really take some hammering to break it loose though. The next one I am working on will actually fit around the shank.
Dave-