First Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kkendall

First Bulldog

Post by kkendall »

This is my first shot at a Bully. (well, kinda)

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kim, I have watched your pipemaking progress in the gallery and you have been coming along excellently. Unfortunately, this one falls far short. The traditional bulldog is a classic shape that is usually very symmetrical. The shape and stem fit/transition are sorely lacking. Chalk this one up to learning experience.

If he's so minded, I'll allow Kurt to do a point-by-point critique.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
donbernard

The "Bully"

Post by donbernard »

Please pardon my lack of experience, but I think that this is a very nice looking pipe, yes it does step ouside of tradition, and that's a good way to learn. Just look at the many "mistakes" I am hapily making as I go!!!!!!

Bernard (DonBernard)
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The equator of the Bull has a deliberate slant forward - quite a bit actually.

The stem & shank actually mate fairly well, but I can see when I took the pic, the peaks weren't aligned perfectly. It REALLY shows in the 4th pic that the stem isn't in straight (something I obviously need to be aware of before taking pics! DOH!)

Nick

Post by Nick »

You know, it is really funny that you should post this pipe when you did. Just lastnight, I had a dream where I was making a pipe. Oddly enough, I had the same idea that you did Kim: a bulldog with the bevel traveling from high to low on the bowl. Way cool. I love it. Although in my dream I actually managed to put a bead on the pipe - not sure how though. Way cool!