Carved my No. 4 today ...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

Carved my No. 4 today ...

Post by hollywood »

Sat down this morning after an early meeting and decided to carve a pipe. Had a piece of briar that I received from Tim West last week. I had set this one up to be somewhat of a saucer/bulldog; but the briar had other plans.

I again had to wing it. Large sand pits and a long fissure; that appeared in the cut down phase, really prevented anything like my original design to come through. I used my 4 sided rasp and my Dremel to freehand this Danish Egg.

I worked hard to get the lines to flow and the stem/shank transition to work better. Sometimes you just have to let the briar take you where it wants to go.

Dimensions:

Height - 2.0 Width - 1.75 Length - 5.75 Chamber - .75

Me hard at "work". 8)
Dave-
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

IMHO I would have followed the bowl curvature on the shank side of the bowl to match that of the front of the bowl.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:IMHO I would have followed the bowl curvature on the shank side of the bowl to match that of the front of the bowl.
So ... make the back look like the front, or visa versa?
Dave-
Frank

Post by Frank »

hollywood wrote:
LexKY_Pipe wrote:IMHO I would have followed the bowl curvature on the shank side of the bowl to match that of the front of the bowl.
So ... make the back look like the front, or visa versa?
He's saying, the straight slope should have been rounded to match the front of the bowl. My assumption is, that is where the defects appeared, so you had to sand them away, leaving a flat instead of a curve. It makes the pipe look very unbalanced.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Actually I like the treatment of the front of the bowl. IMO, this is a very effective way to obtain a squashed tomatoe look, but......... it lasts too long. The slope should have ended about half the distance, and then the back end would be too long... ya know what, I'm probably talking about a whole different shape :)

Anyway, I see what they are saying too, about the slope. My point is that if you've seen that slope elsewhere, it works, I just think it's too long.

BTW, I still think you are doing VERY well for someone who just started. That's a ridiculous #4! For just starting pipe carvers, surpassed only by Adam Davidson's #1. For those who saw this pipe, you know what I'm talking about. :lol: