Latest pipe - lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

LatakiaLover wrote:A repair shop is more like a little factory with specialized stations, while a carver's is more like a studio.)
:shock: I'm doing something wrong! Mine looks like a converted laundry room!! :wink:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LatakiaLover wrote:A repair shop is more like a little factory with specialized stations, while a carver's is more like a studio.
That's funy, mine more resembles an oubliet. :shock:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:That's funy, mine more resembles an oubliet. :shock:
Bloody college graduates with their vocabulary. Just call it a crap hole in the ground! :thplt:

PS: Kurt, did you get my PM?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Frank wrote:
Bloody college graduates with their vocabulary. Just call it a crap hole in the ground! :thplt:

lol.. does it make ya feel better if I tell ya he spelled it wrong? :o
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

LatakiaLover wrote:
kbadkar wrote:Okay, you got me stumped. How is it that you turn a precise tenon on a drill press? :?
It's nothing secret or mysterious. Just stand a lathe on end, and spin the tool instead of the work is the only conceptual difference.
Of course, I should have known, the fancy Pimo tenon tool.

The Pimo version is a bit frustrating to work with, but a major fraction of the cost. I don't see what drill press rigidity has to do with the tenon cutting, since the stem can be hand fed up the guide pin, no? If you are actually dropping the drill press, wouldn't the stem flexibility be the limiting factor? I imagine that you wouldn't want to hold the bit end in a vise, since you want the guide pin to naturally follow the airhole without resistance from even the slightest misalignment.

By the way, Munkey, I love the somewhat Lovat, and especially the jet black stain and the contrast with the bowl top and ring. As noted earlier, the stem work is also very impressive. Your V-slot is real crisp & clean. I have yet to perfect that. After using the dremel cutter to get the perfect rectangle, I always end up nicking the clean lines with the needle file, broach or drill bit and have to monkey [sic] with it to hide my boo-boo.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

kbadkar wrote: I don't see what drill press rigidity has to do with the tenon cutting, since the stem can be hand fed up the guide pin, no? If you are actually dropping the drill press, wouldn't the stem flexibility be the limiting factor? I imagine that you wouldn't want to hold the bit end in a vise, since you want the guide pin to naturally follow the airhole without resistance from even the slightest misalignment.

Don't let mental images and your intuition get you sideways, here. Rigidity is absolutely crucial. Chatter is the penalty for having ANY flex in the system.

As for a vise, one is not only necessary, but ZERO movement of the workpiece is essential.

Following the airway without resistance is a non-issue if everything is on center.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow Scott, that's a beautiful pipe! Very nice blast and beautiful lines. I love the stem work! First class! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. The last couple I've seen pics of are fantastic!

This is beautiful stem work, Scott. I'm focusing on bringing my stem work up a notch. I'm back to using integral tenons, and largely because of stem designs like this one. I still use Delrin for some, but any saddle or half saddle of mine is now sporting an integral tenon. I hated having to worry about where that Delrin was, and compromising the design to accommodate it, and I was especially tired of sanding into it! My integral tenons are still not as clean as I want them, but the last one was nearly there.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Beautifull pipe Scott :P

Exuse my ignorance what is an intergral tennon is it the holy grain of tennons or just one made in ebonite?
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

An intergral tenon is when you turn the tenon out of the single piece of ebonite stem material. Lots of folks are now drilling into the stem ebonite and epoxying in a delrin tenon. This has the disadvantage of not being able to work down the ebonite too much where the delrin is embedded.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

geigerpipes wrote: Exuse my ignorance what is an intergral tennon is it the holy grain of tennons or just one made in ebonite?
It is the Holy Grail!

2 demerits for not knowing, and another for saying grain instead of grail!

:P :P

:D

Tyler
Frank

Post by Frank »

geigerpipes wrote:Exuse my ignorance what is an intergral tennon is it the holy grain of tennons or just one made in ebonite?
It's not the holy grain, it's the sacred crow! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

2 demerits for not knowing, and another for saying grain instead of grail
Well Tyler, Being a man of the briar, Grain is far more important to me :roll:

And hey you try saing that in swedish after midnight :tongue:
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:
Oddly, I never graduated, despite attending for no less than 8 years. :shock:
I just noticed it. I'll reply in a few minutes....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

hazmat wrote:
Frank wrote:

Oooops! Well, my only defense is that it's a French word, and the spell checker always complains on French words. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

KurtHuhn wrote:
hazmat wrote:
Frank wrote: Bloody college graduates with their vocabulary. Just call it a crap hole in the ground! :thplt:

Oooops! Well, my only defense is that it's a French word, and the spell checker always complains on French words. :)
Don't feel bad, I only know cuz I had to look up what the damn word meant. :D
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

geigerpipes wrote:
2 demerits for not knowing, and another for saying grain instead of grail
Well Tyler, Being a man of the briar, Grain is far more important to me :roll:

And hey you try saing that in swedish after midnight :tongue:
touche!

When I think of trying to speak Swedish, I must admit that my mind jumps back to the Swedish chef on the Muppets. Ahhhh, the good old days!

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue der grain der grail! Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn børk! børk! børk!

Oh wait! It's not midnight yet. Hold that, I'll be back!

Tyler
Frank

Post by Frank »

Tyler, I somehow pictured you more as Fozzy Bear, "Awww, come on you guys!".Image
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
James Sunderland

love the pipe

Post by James Sunderland »

the pipe looks great my friend, have you happen to get your smoking friend across the street buzzed yet?