pricing paradox for new makers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The pricing paradox is an ongoing struggle for me. In my estimation, my pipes are worth far more than the $75-$100 range I sell them for. It's tough to sell them for what I think they're worth, since I'ma relative unknown in the pipemaking world. However, I suspect that if I spent more time on marketing and advertising, they'd sell for what I think they're worth.

It's that marketing and advertising thing that I truly struggle with. I think *most* craftsmen struggle with that when starting out. I can't imagine that not being a problem - as Todd indicated, you need to work at it. Now is the time, I think, to work at it a little.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
dquisenberry

Post by dquisenberry »

They are only worth what the market is willing to pay. If you think you have gained a quality and style level that merits charging more and feel the only thing holding you back is marketing, one method which has proved successful for some is to find some influential people and offer to send them a pipe and request they review it. I know that ASP (alt.smokers.pipes) is only a drop in the bucket of pipe smokers, however, it is very active on the internet and several have employeed this method of having there work reviewed. The key is to determine those who are influential enough that others would read their review and say 'Hey, I need to check this guy out'.
David Quisenberry
www.quisenberry.ws