sanding disc plates

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

sanding disc plates

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, all of these sanding disc i am seeing for shaping on guys website are interesting, were do i get them, or is it some kind of self-made thing. i have seen the french wheel on a site for 125.00 it looks way over priced for two discs. i use a belt sander currently.

thanks,tim
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

You can make a sanding disc for a few bucks. I made one from a 5" Dewalt random orbital sanding replacement pad (hook & loop). When I tightened up the screw, it pulled down below flush with the pad. You can get sanding discs without holes. Works fine.

timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

[quote="kkendall"]You can make a sanding disc for a few bucks. I made one from a 5" Dewalt random orbital sanding replacement pad (hook & loop). When I tightened up the screw, it pulled down below flush with the pad. You can get sanding discs without holes. Works fine.

Image[/qu
ote]

wow! thanks , may i ask were you got the stuff at :)

thanks,tim
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Replacement pad - Home Depot
Hardware - Ace Hardware

I don't recall the exact cost, but it seems like the whole thing was under $10
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

That exact same thing can be had harbor freight. I think it's a replacement pad/disc for an orbital sander.

If it's not the padded disc on the bottom of this device (which this pic is used to sell) it's one VERY SIMILAR. It has a threaded opening on the back (5/8" if I remember correctly) to which I attached the end of a bolt that I bought at lowes. Then I cut the end of the bolt and had a 5/8" tube with a threaded tip and on screwed onto the end of that the sanding disc. Works well...

I chuck that into my lathe and use it on with my higher grits.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Most hardware stores have a variety of sanding discs. They range anywhere from a couple of bucks to $50+. Look around and buy a few you think will work. After a bit, you'll most likely zero in on a couple you really like and use them nearly exclusively.