Big Bamboo

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
JHowell

Big Bamboo

Post by JHowell »

I'm looking for a piece of some big bamboo. The diameter I'm looking for at the waist is between .650" and .700". Closely-spaced knuckles are a plus, too. Nothing I have is that big -- I'd buy a whole piece if someone can spare it, but could finish the pipe I have in mind with just a couple inches. Please email at jwh@fastmail.fm.

Thanks,
Nick

Post by Nick »

I got your big bamboo right between my legs Jack!

(OK, sorry. I struggled, but eventually couldn't not post it.)
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Nick wrote:I got your big bamboo right between my legs Jack!

(OK, sorry. I struggled, but eventually couldn't not post it.)
Umm, I hate to be the one to tell you, but .650-.700" OD isn't exactly something to brag about. And if you have "knuckles," closely spaced or not, a doctor really should have a look.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

I have not gotten any bamboo from this guy personally, but one of the carvers in my pipe club gets his there. Here's a link to his site:

http://www.franksupply.com/rattan.html

Bill
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I did a fairly thorough search of the site, and couldn't find the type suitable for pipemaking. Anyone else get a "hit"?
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Good tip! I hope he has plenty -- that's a great price if it's usable.
Nick

Post by Nick »

D'OOOH!! I always thought that was pretty big!

*sighs* I've been lied to all my life.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Jack, you will want to ask him if the knuckles are ground down. If you don't mind that then no problem. However, I know a guy who bought a bunch from here and while much of it is usable, it all had knuckles that were ground flush. It has something to do with making certain no foreign soil is contained in them.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

geigerpipes wrote:Here ya go:

http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo_produ ... luteblanks

Loook for Wangi
I have a pretty huge stash of wangi from them. Not all of it is good for all pipes, but you can get good sections out of it if you don't mind pulling from the center of a piece, or using just the first few inches of just one end. Or, sometimes, you can use really big pieces if you're not looking for really close spacing or very pronounced knuckles. They're perfect for tampers too.

All in all, for the price, it's pretty good stuff.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Hmm. I placed an order this afternoon, they said it was being mailed today, so I'm sure it's too late to ask about the knuckles. I guess I'll just see what I get. Seems like I see a lot of big bamboo on Italian pipes, I wonder where they get it (no, I'm not thinking of the Radice bamboo carve).
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I got my bamboo from Frank's, and Kurt was right, the nodes are all ground down flush, and very rougly so. Cheap, but not suitable.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks for the heads-up, Jack. Looks like our ever watchful government has found yet another way to intrude upon our daily lives. Pretty soon we won't be able to import briar anymore.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Re: Big Bamboo

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:I'm looking for a piece of some big bamboo. The diameter I'm looking for at the waist is between .650" and .700". Closely-spaced knuckles are a plus, too.
Jack, try contacting this guy & see what he can supply in the way of wider diameters. The language might be a bit of a problem: http://www.pipesdo.com/product.asp?id=490
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett