mortise sizes ?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

mortise sizes ?

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi was planing on making a volcano shape with a tapered cumberland stem with olive wood accent band on the stem. i have a tenon already cut on a rod that i was practicing on, it turns out the tenon was cut perfect!!!! it will fit a 1/4 mortise perfect. so my question is even no the shank will be a decent thickness will it be o.k. to have a small mortise??? thanks guys!!!

tim
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Perfectly.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

JHowell wrote:Perfectly.
perfectly what? or do you mean my words lol!! i was in a rush
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sorry, I meant a smaller mortise will work perfectly well. Especially Delrin, but I make 1/4" tenons with some frequency in acrylic. So long as the fit doesn't bind, it's not a problem. And if the pipe gets dropped or sat on, better a broken tenon than a broken shank.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

JHowell wrote:Sorry, I meant a smaller mortise will work perfectly well. Especially Delrin, but I make 1/4" tenons with some frequency in acrylic. So long as the fit doesn't bind, it's not a problem. And if the pipe gets dropped or sat on, better a broken tenon than a broken shank.
i agree jack, wow!! i just went on your site. your work is amazing. how long have you been doing it
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Tim,
Yep, i use 1/4" frequently myself.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes