Sometimes it's the simple things...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Sometimes it's the simple things...

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yesterday I was in the workshop, drilling some delrin for tenons, and having a tough time keeping the holes straight. At first I feared the worst - that my magically straight and aligned wood lathe had somehow been knocked out of alignment, and would no longer drill straight or face square. I tried everything, including rocking the tailstock, re-attaching the chuck in the headstock, removing and re-inserting the chuck in the tailstock, using different material to drill. At one point I even brought out my old machinists tools and checked alignment of the lathe itself - which came out dead-nuts straight.

Totally bewildered, I almost called it a day and left the workshop out of disgust. I went to reach for the lightswitch and a little voice in the back of my head whispered "Try a new drill bit!".

I turned around and reached into the toolbox for a new 5/32" bit. As I broke the plastic on the black and yellow packaging, I had my doubts. I had never seen a worn bit drill crooked, and the one I was using was still very sharp and didn't display signs of wear or dulling. But, I chucked up the new bit and drilled through half a dozen tenons of 1/4" delrin one right after another - with loosening the tailstock between each, and even swapping bits. All of them were perfectly straight, and I felt rather foolish.

Check the simple things first. I drill this into my engineer's heads every day. Check the easy stuff - the cable, the receptacle, the switches, move the cable to a new port, did the user sign on correctly, etc. You should have heard the cursing after I realized that I wasted almost two hours of time over a $2 drill bit. :banghead:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

So, do you laugh or cry when stuff like this happens, Kurt? :lol:

(On a related note as general info to the board: the whole drill bit thing is so fundamental to good work that trying to save a buck on them is poor economy. Amortized over their lifespan, the very best bits cost only a few cents a week more than the kind that can make your life miserable. I've had excellent luck with the Milwaukee brand for fractionals. Dead straight, truly sized, and razor sharp.)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm laughing today, but I punched several things immediately afterward. :filth-n-foul:

I've had great luck with DeWalt brand bits. They're consistently of high quality, and last forever.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'm laughing today, but I punched several things immediately afterward. :filth-n-foul:

That will never do for a craftsman. Protect your hands. Use a hammer. 8) :lol:
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

The trick I've found to save my hands and my tools is to keep throw-aways sitting around my shop in handy reach. If I do something ridiculously stupid, I grab one of those and give it a good heave across the room. I'm no longer frustrated and nothing of value is harmed(unless my aim's off, which is extremely likely). :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I normally throw the object of my frustration onto the concrete floor and stomp on it like a scene from a late '80s underground punk rock movie. It helps if I have the Bad Brains or Black Flag playing on the iPod.

In this case, stomping on Delrin didn't seem like it would gain me much in relief, so I grabbed some 1/2" pine boards went to town. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

You listen to Bad Brains and Black Flag? That's pretty cool. Henry Rollins was one of my favorites growing up.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Rollins-era Black Flag was the best, IMO. He's also an excellent spoken word performer. I've seen him a few times when he made appearances at the local Universities. I've never been to a Black Flag concert though.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I've never seen Black Flag, but I've seen him perform twice when he had Rollins Band together. When I was younger, I had his spoken word set Out of the Box or something of the sort? A friend of mine and I swore when we were about 15 or so that Rollins was god.. good stuff!
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Never saw Black Flag, but I did see the Clash, DK, Ramones, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat, and several other 80's punk bands. We had a good scene in DC.

Anyway, Kurt, it's sometimes the simple things, it's almost always!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehe! Man, I used to love DK. Hey the 30th anniversary or Never mind the Bullocks is coming up. I almost went to see the sex Pistols on their 20th anniversary tour, but damn if i couldn't put it together. Bad Brains are just messed up!
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

hazmat wrote:You listen to Bad Brains and Black Flag? That's pretty cool. Henry Rollins was one of my favorites growing up.
he is doing spoken word next month in salt lake.

I might have to smoke a pipe and track him down the day of the show.

Plus black flag does make great object tossing music.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'm laughing today, but I punched several things immediately afterward. :filth-n-foul:
I have a speed bag in the corner of the shop. My wife can always tell when I'm mad. WAPPITA-WAPPITA-WAPPITA-WAPPITA-BAM!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I really should hang a heavy bag in there, it might save a few things the dishonor of being tossed to the floor.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

Kurt I was a potter for alot of years. I would get a bowl just the way i wanted it, then i would cough or something and take to much of the top. I would always get pissed and smash the poor bowl or vase. I ened up punching a bag of unfired clay as it made the same fleshy sound a real punch does. It was very refreshing.
Nick

Post by Nick »

smokingpat wrote:I ened up punching a bag of unfired clay as it made the
same fleshy sound a real punch does. It was very refreshing.
EEEK!