mounted stem fittings

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

mounted stem fittings

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, what tool may be used for this. i have seen some pipes that have this. what i mean is when the stem shoulder fits sits into the shank a little. it almost looks like a small forstner bit is used at the same size as the stem. thanks
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Either a forstner or it could be turned on a lathe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have done both forstner bit, and turning the cavity. The forstner bit will make a nice precise hole, and you can radius the edges with a sharp skew or square scraper to make a smooth finish that needs minimal (if any) sanding. Or you can use a narrow scraper and do it all with one tool. Which method I use depends on the pipe and what it needs.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:I have done both forstner bit, and turning the cavity. The forstner bit will make a nice precise hole, and you can radius the edges with a sharp skew or square scraper to make a smooth finish that needs minimal (if any) sanding. Or you can use a narrow scraper and do it all with one tool. Which method I use depends on the pipe and what it needs.
thanks kurt, i will give it a try!!
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

timothy thorpe wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:I have done both forstner bit, and turning the cavity. The forstner bit will make a nice precise hole, and you can radius the edges with a sharp skew or square scraper to make a smooth finish that needs minimal (if any) sanding. Or you can use a narrow scraper and do it all with one tool. Which method I use depends on the pipe and what it needs.
thanks kurt, i will give it a try!!
hey kurt, so on a meatal lathe i would turn my tool post left so the cutting tool would be facing left and then cut from the mortise hole out? i really need to just try it! thanks again, tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yep. That's how would you do it. The actual procedure is much different on a wood lathe, which is what I use, but similar in overall concept.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:Yep. That's how would you do it. The actual procedure is much different on a wood lathe, which is what I use, but similar in overall concept.
thanks kurt, i will give it a try!!!!!