Cheap Logan on Ebay

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
JHowell

Cheap Logan on Ebay

Post by JHowell »

One bid, $150, 10 hours to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-LOGAN-LATHE ... dZViewItem

You're not going to make satellite parts with this, but perfectly good for pipemaking. Comes apart for car transport, maybe worth a look if it's within driving distance, if it can be had for a couple hundred, and if you don't have anything better. Worst case, it could need bearings, which cost about $40 for the set and take basic mechanic skills and access to a press to replace, but they may be fine, and nothing else could be too worn out to make pipes. I have no affiliation, it's just the sort of lathe I'd probably have bought a year ago. Hell, I'm still buying lathes like this, only bigger. I have an extra tailstock, BTW.

Jack
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

OK, here's another one. Not a Monarch EE, but more capable for pipemaking than an import 7x14 at a similar price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAFTSMAN-ATLAS-12- ... dZViewItem
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool. Thanks Jack!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I'm always looking at lathes, and will throw up ones that I'd buy if I needed a lathe up here. The key is local pickup. If the guy wants a lathe gone but doesn't want to lift a finger that cuts out everybody outside of driving distance, and everybody who is within driving distance but doesn't know that these things come apart and you could move one with a car or a $20 UHaul trailer. The happy hunting grounds seem to be New Jersey and California.

Jack
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehe. I had my 6 inch Craftsman shipped to work. Man! I was dreading walking back to my car. Fortunately i had the bright idea of using our loading dock.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Actually, I shipped all of a Craftsman 6" but the bed to a friend in Oregon in four USPS flat rate boxes. No motor, but everything else. Good thing I packed it all super-carefully, because a couple of those boxes weighed over 30 pounds, and, judging by the abuse they received, nothing irritates a postal employee more than somebody getting a good deal on shipping.

Jack