stem inlays

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

stem inlays

Post by timothy thorpe »

thanks guys for your help. now that i have a lathe to cut tenons i am alittle confused! what a surprise right! lol when you cut the long tenon, when do you actually drill the inlay to fit over. because i was used to 5/16 delrin so it was easy!. so basically my question is what is the best way to do all the cutting of the tenon to fit the inlay smoothly. thanks so much!!

tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can cut a long tenon, just as if you had uses a long piece of delrin. Or you can cut a larger tenon just past your other tenon to accept a ring with a larger inner diameter. Personally, doing it the same way you do for delrin seems like the easiest method.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:You can cut a long tenon, just as if you had uses a long piece of delrin. Or you can cut a larger tenon just past your other tenon to accept a ring with a larger inner diameter. Personally, doing it the same way you do for delrin seems like the easiest method.
thanks kurt, i guess you can ajust the tenon a little on the lathe after the inlay has been fitted.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

What you want to do is measure things up. To make it simple.. let's say you use a 1/2 inch long tenon and you want a half inch wide band. You need to cut a tenon that's an inch long to accomodate the band plus the length that will go in the mortise. If you plan it out right ahead of time, you shouldn't need to do too much adjusting after the fact.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:What you want to do is measure things up. To make it simple.. let's say you use a 1/2 inch long tenon and you want a half inch wide band. You need to cut a tenon that's an inch long to accomodate the band plus the length that will go in the mortise. If you plan it out right ahead of time, you shouldn't need to do too much adjusting after the fact.
thanks, sorry but i was talking about fitting the tenon into the mortise. the length i have no problem with. :) thanks, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Ohhhhh.. I see what you're after now. Personally, don't worry about how perfectly the band fits on the tenon. Make sure your tenon fits right in the mortise first and foremost. If the ring fits a bit sloppily on the tenon, it's not so much of an issue. When you epoxy the band onto the tenon and it's all set up, it will look right.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:Ohhhhh.. I see what you're after now. Personally, don't worry about how perfectly the band fits on the tenon. Make sure your tenon fits right in the mortise first and foremost. If the ring fits a bit sloppily on the tenon, it's not so much of an issue. When you epoxy the band onto the tenon and it's all set up, it will look right.

thanks!!! i just want it to look the best it can!!!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Let me adjust my response a bit... the hole in your band doesn't need to perfectly fit the diameter of your tenon. It can be off a bit. You DO want the faces of your inlay piece to be faced off properly so you don't get a gap between the band and the stem or the band and the shank.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:Let me adjust my response a bit... the hole in your band doesn't need to perfectly fit the diameter of your tenon. It can be off a bit. You DO want the faces of your inlay piece to be faced off properly so you don't get a gap between the band and the stem or the band and the shank.
yes, thanks. i have no problems facing the material. thanks for the help.