First asymmetrical pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

First asymmetrical pipe

Post by KurtHuhn »

Okay, at long last, pics of my first asymmetrical pipe. I did this way different than any other pipe I've ever shaped. I actually wnet into this having only the most basic idea of the type of pipe that I was hoping to get. I didn't even try to pre-shape the block on the bandsaw or anything.

First things first, I have begun to see the value in not using a belt grinder for shaping pipes. In order to get into the narrow joints and transition areas in a pipe like this, you need to be using a disc - you simply cannot do it with a contact wheel grinder no matter how large your contact wheel. I've already dedicated one electric motor for this, and may grab a couple more if I start doing a lot of pipes using this method.

Here's some pics:

Basically, this shape would simply not have been possible if all the holes had been drilled first. Also, without using the spoon bits from Brad, this pipe never would have gotten drilled. Reshaped S&D bits would not have drilled that tobacco chamber, no matter how many names you called them or fingers your injured.

And yes, it passes a cleaner. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

Nice! The grain on the large diameter side looks so deep you could swim into it. I like the S-curve described by the shank and stem.
-Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That is outstanding Kurt. Awesome!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Wow Kurt... It looks like you took full advantage of a really amazing piece of wood. We went in pretty different directions with our first assymetricals... I hope to post my pics soon!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Cool pipe Kurt.
I really like that the plane of the shank face is so offset from the bowl.
Very tricky and nice work.
Do you usually sketch out you pipes before beginning?
Thanx,
Steve Morrisette
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks, all!

Steve,
I normally do sketch a pipe before making it, but in an informal way on the side of the block trying to find the best way to use the grain. This pipe was a complete departure - read the story here:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipes/cityman/kingyo.php
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

I keep comiing back to look at this pipe. i honestly really enjoy looking at it. well done
James Sunderland

one more thing,,, thoose are great photos!!! how do you get the all white background?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hi James,

I use a "light tent" to shoot in. Basically, it's a 3/4" PVC tube frame that has a white sheet draped over it, and a white piece of posterboard hung off the back crossmember.

That photo was taken a few years ago, and I've since swapped out the clip-on work lamps with inexpensive free-standing desk lamps. One lamp shines in on either side, and one from the top. The white sheet diffuses the light so that you don't get harsh highlights or spots, and the multidirectional lighting helps reduce the shadows.

Another key is to use a camera that has a custom white balance setting. Mine is a Canon 300D and this has proven a godsend - I can fix white balance on anything right at the camera. I snap a photo that's all or predominently white, and load that as the the basis for custom white balance. The camera bases it's compensation off that image, and I can fo an entire photo session without worrying about it.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
James Sunderland

Thanks Kurt great info !!!
farmer_rob

Post by farmer_rob »

great pipes make for great pics :wink: