Contrasted Horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
geigerpipes

Contrasted Horn

Post by geigerpipes »

Thought id show you what visiting other pipemakers can lead to..

A few months ago me and Sara went over to visit Tom Eltang And had a splendid day... Later we will go and spend a week in his shop to digg deeper into this craft..If you are near one I would strongly suggest spending the time and money to visit a professional pipemaker, beats the hell out of any web forum...Now don't get me wrong I've learnt some great stuff here but It just dos'nt compare

Now I can't credit this Whole pipe to Tom but he gave us a push in the right direction along with me beeing fixated on getting a better finish on the pipes for a year now and making pipes for quite a while..

I proudly present The Horn Blower:

Could'nt manage to capture the true beauty of this thing but you can get an idear
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

I"m blown away, Tom seems like a real fun guy to work with
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Beautiful!!!

bob gilbert
Nick

Post by Nick »

Gorgeous finish Love! Way cool!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Sooo, you now know the secret to Tom's famous golden contrast! Did you get to use the impossible to purchase 2-part "laboratory stain" and virgin French stain? Or is there a more simple way for us plebians to accomplish such gorgeous contrast?
Leus

Post by Leus »

kbadkar wrote:Sooo, you now know the secret to Tom's famous golden contrast! Did you get to use the impossible to purchase 2-part "laboratory stain" and virgin French stain? Or is there a more simple way for us plebians to accomplish such gorgeous contrast?
That's what I was thinking. Great contrast, very... Eltangesque? :-)
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Guys this is not lab stain just the usual alcohol suatable stain and some 600 paper + lots of practice..
Smoke in peace!!

Love
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Excellent... I'm glad to know it's possible to get such beautiful results without a license. I remember reading a post by Ronny Thuner that he uses alchohol then oil stain to get a contrast stain that doesn't "bleed" between coatings. But I guess that isn't necessary if you get such definition with just alchohol stains. Is the practice part important for the stain application (number of coats and penetration) or sanding (knowing when to stop)?
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

acually I did use oil stain on the top orange coating but there is solvements in it that will cause a bleed..

All of wich you mention are important factors and takes time to contol..

Right now I don't have the time to explain properly have a lot of pipes to finish then next few weeks but I'll try to remember giving a discription later when things have calmed down...

one good tip,
get Bob flexners book :understanding wood finishing it has lots of usefull tips even for a pipemaker
Smoke in peace!!

Love
smokepiper

hat´s off for you my friend

Post by smokepiper »

That is what i call a beautiful pipe with a stunning grain, the stain is out of my vocabulary to describe...