Angel's Cedar Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Rob,
has he smoked it yet? How well does cedar smoke? I never considered it for pipes because of the aromatic qualities as well as the rather light density of the wood. I'd be interested to hear how the results were.

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hmm, I was curious because I had heard somewhere that cedar was very carcinogenic. Though, if you're smoking, that is hardly a concern, right? Though I haven't personally looked into it, I have heard this somewhere and it may be worth researching before puffing away on a potentially toxic piece of wood. I am interested to hear what you find if you do some research and also how the one you smoke tastes.

Jeff
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I remember reading that the dust from spanish cedar can really cause health problems so be careful when working this this wood. I don't know anything about smoking it though. That might be OK. I would check it out first if I were you.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

BTW, I'm assuming that this is spanish cedar you are talking about because it was in a cigar humidor. Spanish cedar is used for cigars and is completely different than regular aromatic cedar that is used in a cedar chest.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Stephen hit the mark. I knew that I had heard something before. I too found out when reading up on constructing a humidor that spanish cedar dust is carcinogenic. So, you might do well to read up on the wood before lighting up.

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

Pooka, I did find this on Red Cedar Tobacco Pipes. It might be of some help. It was on Ask Jeves.

http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a%2f ... &qte=0&o=0

Also:
I got this feedback from "TBM Hardwoods"
"Received your message regarding pipes. If the Cedar will burn it does release some resins that can be irritating to asthmatic or other people with respiratory problems. Also the resin can have a bitter taste. "

Hugh
Pooka wrote:After some googling, I found very little on the specifics of cedar, but may just postpone any more cedar projects until something turns up. Thanks guys.

Rob.