Pipe from Birch burl

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Konta

Pipe from Birch burl

Post by Konta »

Hi, my name is Konsta and I live in Finland and i'm 17 years old. I have made couple pipes and another woodworks (my english is not so good, but i'm learning all the time).I made pipe from burl of birch and it looks like this:

It was littlebit hard to work with that burl, with just a dremel, knife sandpaper and battery-powered drill (I dont know the right word, but i hope you understand), and I screw too much with drill and drill went couple times through the pipe, but i fixed the holes with juniper as you can see this picture :

(I didnt use any glue) I'm pretty happy for the result, but there is much what I can make better.
(perhpas this should be in Alternative Materials section, I dont know.)
What you guys think, and you can be honest.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Hi Konta,

Welcome to the group! The birch burl has really interesting grain and coloring. I like it. Try not to be upset about your drilling mistakes, instead just learn from them so hopefully it will not happen again. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your pipes in the future.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Hi Konsta,
Welcome. Great shape you have on this pipe. Wish you had shown the Tobacco Chamber with a Top View. Did you use a stain or is this the natural color of the Burl Birch.
JB
Konta

Post by Konta »

Here is the top view, you asked:

As you can see the hole is in corner, which is not good thing but at least the hole is in bottom of heel. I will try this soon and tell is it good or not.
I used bee&carnaubawax mix, which I bought from local paintshop.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

That's a beautiful pipe! Keep up the great work.

and you speak my language much better than I speak yours! :)

john - not knowing a word of Finnish!
jeff

Post by jeff »

That is a great looking pipe. Interesting design work. The wood grain is very unique and beautiful. I, too, look forward to seeing more work in the future. I can't wait to hear how it smokes.

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

You hit that is what is important. I tried on two pipes and missed altogether.
The way you shaped the Tobacco Chamber around the hole looks great. Good work.

Konta wrote:
As you can see the hole is in corner, which is not good thing but at least the hole is in bottom of heel. I will try this soon and tell is it good or not.
I used bee&carnaubawax mix, which I bought from local paintshop.

Post by jeff »

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to drill the tobacco hole? You mentioned using a battery powered drill, but what kind of bit and how did you hold the briar steady? Thanks

Jeff
Konta

Post by Konta »

Here is the picture from tools which I use to drill the holes :

And Jeff asked how I keep the pipe steady, here is answer: I keep the pipe in my left hand and push drill with my right hand, I don't have any vise or something and I don't need them :lol:
jeff

Post by jeff »

Wow, that's a very impressive, though perhaps too difficult, procedure to use for the drilling. I look forward to seeing you perfect this method, or seeing what you can do when if and when you move on to another system.

Jeff
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

It's interesting how inventive we humans can be when we have to. I'm impressed that you were able to drill a working pipe with such minimal tools. Keep up the good work!
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.