Made a compound table for my wood lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Made a compound table for my wood lathe

Post by Nick »

Well, being the total tool geek, I have been ever so disapointed in my lack of a metal lathe. I mean really! I deserve one! Still, the whole food and shelter issue kept coming up in my discussions with my wife. So I'm stuck with my trusty old wood lathe. Anyway, the idea came to me as I pondered how much better a pipe maker I'd be with a metal lathe that I could rig up a compound table with a tool holder on my existing late. Essentially all I did was take a board and attach a short dowl that was the same size as the slot in my lathe bed to a nice sturdy board using a carrage bolt. A nice honking washer gives the table some grip. To this board, I fastened a milling vice with x and y travel. The vice has screws to hold the jaws, so I will make some jaws to hold a cutting tool. Voila! Of course I'll never get the cutter perfectly perpendicular to the chuck, but I may get it close. Anyway, the only thing I really intend to use it for is tenons. i like the feel of handling the chisel.

Just thought I'd share my inspiration with you.

Nick
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

I would love to see some pics of that setup, if you can get around to it.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sure,

I'll see if I can't snap a few tonight.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Pictures, Nick! Pictures!!

:D
Nick

Post by Nick »

I know, I know. Sorry. Busy night last night. I'll get them soon. I promise.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Pictures Man Pictures!!! :baby:
Nick

Post by Nick »

OK, I finally got pictures. So here they are:

So there ya are. It was actually pretty easy once I got the idea in my head. I measured the gap in my lathe bed - 1.25 inches - and got a dowl that size. I cut it to the right depth, added a big fat washer and a little spacer because i got a screw that was a hair long and I had my table. After that i just screwed on the vice. I didn't worry about getting it perfectly strait because with the round dowl it would swivel anyway. To hold the tool I think I'll rig up some sort of box. Somthing that not only holds the sides, but that hold the top of the tool too - to keep it from kicking downward. The vice was ideal because it had jaws that were held in place with 4 screws. So i'll attach the tool holder to the vice the same way. The only hitch is that I need to get a lathe cutter long enough to allow a good deal of travel. As you can see the left hand side of the vice extends pretty far out, and could interfer with the chuck. Anyway, too much fun!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Holy Moly, look at the jaws on that chuck! Where did you get those done? the cross slide looks cool. Have you turned anything wile using it as a tool holder yet?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks for the pics Nick! That is a pretty cool looking rig you came up with there. I would also be interested in some additional info about the jaws on your lathe chuck.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

No, I haven't turned anything yet. I still need to get a cutter or two. To be honest, I'm not sure what kind of cutter I should get. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

I got the jaws and chuck from a place called Worldwide Chuck Service. I don't know exactly what the cost was because i bought the chuck and jaws together. The owner's name is Joel. He's a great guy and/ a pipe smoker. Their phone number is 330-562-4509. Website:http://www.worldwidechuck.com . The jaws are awesome. They are bulky enough to really clamp down on the briar. Additionally, instead of pins to swivel the briar, he used swivel screw (seen here: http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.c ... 2853574458)
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

nick

you still got the pics of this thing you made for your wood lathe and mabe you can help design what i have in mind. after going to www.theitalianpipe.com and looking at mortti making a pipe i have an idea to help w/ the sf/ds and i have seen pics on trevor talberts site w/the equipment he has. something to hold the shaped stummel some kind of vice chuck etc and then push the table into the chuck and drill .in the pics that mike took of barry jones squaring/drilling/countersinking the mortise - ok kind of rambling on

jim
Nick

Post by Nick »

let me see if i can't find them. Got an email address?
kkendall

I'd really like to see 'em

Post by kkendall »

I'd really like to see 'em, too. Been thinking about how to put a compound slide on my wood lathe. kim.kendall@cox.net