technique question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Ray Cover

technique question

Post by Ray Cover »

Well guys things are getting better. I have slowed down and my toungue is not getting tore up as much. I am finding the taste of tobaccos and finding things I like and dont' care for. At this point I have a new question.

About half way through each pipe full of tobacco I hit a wall. I get the pipe smoked about half way down and then I get to a point where I can not get the pipe to stay lit at all. I have found that if I dump the top layer of ash and re-light things go pretty much back to normal for a while.

THen I get to that last little bit in the bottom and I have a hard time keeping that lit. probably because the bottom bit of tobacco is pretty moist by then.

Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing different?

Thanks,

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Hi Ray.. when I get to that point, if I'm having that problem(and I do sometimes if I get a bit of gusto going) I'll set the pipe aside for a bit before I try to relight. Just gives the 'baccy some time to dry up a bit and it seems to work well. Of course, there are times you just have to abandon ship and dump the bottoms out. Hope that helps some.

Matt
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Air pocket packing

Post by kbadkar »

A different packing method may help. If you get or can get Pipes & Tobaccos magazine, try the air pocket packing method described in the article by Fred Hanna in the Winter 2007 issue. I find this method keeps the baccy drier by the time you get to the bottom. I use a modified version, kind of combining it with Frank method. Just remember to shake/jerk or pipe cleaner swab that spittle and condensation out before tamping to the bottom.