New Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RadDavis

New Pipe

Post by RadDavis »

So, I got this strange block of briar with my Mimmo shipment from Todd.

I personally think that Todd saw it in *his* batch and substituted it for one of my really, really good blocks, which I was legally entitled to. :P

Anyway, this block was a plateaux block, but it had some birdseye on one side and sort of a mixed grain on the other. It wasn't cut like all the other plateaux blocks in my batch, which is why I think Todd pulled the old switcheroo on me. Or else Mimmo has hired some Greeks.

It was about 10" long and skinny and had a large shallow V cut out of the middle of the bottom, so I had to dodge that when drawing the shape on the block. It was also huge (lot of wood/grain showing) on one side and very small on the other, so there was a very dramatic slant to the bark on the top.

Today, I decided to tackle it, and to gain full advantage of the length of the block, it had to be a bent shape.

So I made a 1/2 bent Liverpool:

There are more pics here:

http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm

What do you guys think? :roll:

Rad
souljer

Post by souljer »

Checked out the pix; I think it's great.

Sort of like a mini-churchwarden except the shank is long not the stem, which I think is better and the way they should be done. Of course long blocks are not economically practical so that doesn't happen often enough.

Wish I could afford it. Actually I really wish I could afford that beautiful Poker; a favorite shape of mine.

Btw, what makes it a Liverpool compared to a Canadian? And don't tell me "where it was born... " :lol:
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Btw, what makes it a Liverpool compared to a Canadian?
A Canadian has an oval shank, and a Liverpool has a round shank, and both have taper bits.

According to: http://www.aspipes.org/shapes/canadfam.html

Rad
sethile

Post by sethile »

That's a really nice pipe, Rad! I like long shanks. My youngest son (16 and high time he started pipe smoking) :wink: has been after me for a churchwarden. I may see if I can appease him with something more like this, but then where would you ever get blocks like that on purpose?
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Rad,
Super looking. I like long pipes!
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Rad,
Very nice pipe. Did you drill the tobacco chamber by chucking it on a lathe? If so, what kind of lathe allows that much clearance, or is this a shape first drill after?
All the best,
Tano
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Did you drill the tobacco chamber by chucking it on a lathe?
Hey Tano,

I drilled it on my drill press. Drilling the shank was the toughest part. I got it started on the drill press with a short bit, and then finished it with the block in the vise using a hand held drill with only about 1/4 inch left of the 6 inch bit to put in the chuck.

rad
souljer

Post by souljer »

RadDavis wrote:...finished it with the block in the vise using a hand held drill with only about 1/4 inch left of the 6 inch bit to put in the chuck.
rad
Awesome!!
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Rad,

That is a fantastic pipe...you sure pulled that one out of the block.

Great job!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

And just what is the problem if Mimmo has had the wisdom to hire a few fellow countrymen from the cradle of Western civilization?

Cool looking pipe bud. Just wish it were longer. (Damn, I seem to hear that all the time.)
BDP

Post by BDP »

Rad,

Once again, living up to your name!!

Radical, Dude!
Brad
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

That is a loong cool smoke
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com