Etude 21 and 22, blasted apple, and a straitgrain freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sethile

Etude 21 and 22, blasted apple, and a straitgrain freehand

Post by sethile »

Hello all,
Finsihed two more:
Etude 21, Blasted apple:
Specs:
Height: 2.1"
Diameter:1.82"
Overall Length: 6"
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1.5"
Hand cut Ebonite Stem with an integral tenon.
As you can see above, I ran into a significant fissure I could not work around. I'm hoping to figure out a way to minimize the effect the blasting has on these. It's been a problem on my last three blasts.
For more pics and details on this pipe:
http://pipedreams.radioministries.org/etude21.htm

Etude 22, straightgrain freehand:
This is the nicest grain I've run into since Etude 13, so I had to keep it smooth in spite of a couple of small flaws and sand pits. This block was long, but not real tall, and seemed to really want to be this shape. It's a bit more "Danish" then most of what I've done, and I really had a great time making it. I'm hoping to do more work along these lines in the near future, only more refined.
Specs:
Height: 2.2"
Diameter:1.75"
Overall Length: 6.25"
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1.65"
Hand cut Ebonite Stem with an integral tenon.

I was happy to have some decent straight grain for once, with just a little fall out in and a couple of small bare spots. Nice birdseye on top and bottom too. I'm really excited about trying more Danish influenced designs. I wanted a more aggressive saddle, and had one, right until I filed into the airway on the first stem! :shock: I may have had a hair more room on this one, but was feeling a bit cautious after wrecking the first one.... The color of the pics is off. In real life it's browner and less red. I can't seem to get the color corrected in my photo editor, especially on smooth pipes. I'll eventually get a better camera, but right now I need to save money for more and better briar!

I'm getting close to wanting to offer some pipes for sale, and excited about taking a few to some pipe shows for some hands on feedback. Heading to St. Louis for my first show tomorrow :D
For more on Etude 22:
http://pipedreams.radioministries.org/etude22.htm

As always, your candid feedback will be most appreciated!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
flix

Post by flix »

Scott,

Etude 23 has got to be one of the sweetest looking pipes I've ever seen presented here. Just gorgeous hunk of wood! Sorry, can't find anything to complain about.

--Michael
ckr

Post by ckr »

Got to agree with Michael, Etude 23 seems to have that "air" about it. :wink: Good luck in St Louis.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Both pipes seem to have a bit of a Danish influence in them. The apple is much softer and more organic looking than a traditional apple. Very nice. I wouldn't worry about blasting the flaws like that. Frankly, I think those blasts are some of the most interesting. I love the nooks and crannies created. Great job on blasting bud.

The freehand is really sharp too. I totally know what you mean about being afraid to take too much of the stem. I think we've all sanded into a few airways. I find myself cheering to myself when working on a stem like that "Be Agressive - B - E Agressive!" You definately had room there, but it still looks sharp as it. I like the flow of the shank. Very fluid. Nice job bud.