Spoon Bit Size Poll

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.

Which third size?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:24 am

11/16ths
67%
7/8ths
33%

Total votes: 15

BDP

Spoon Bit Size Poll

Post by BDP »

Guys,

I'm attempting to use the poll option. Let's see if I can make it work..

Brad
ckr

Post by ckr »

I cast 7/8's but I really want all four and at the same price would be too much to hope for so I would be willing to ante up for the extra one.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL! I just saw the 2 and 2 results so far. If its 3 to 3, does that mean Brad casts they tie breaking vote?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

That third 11/16ths was me.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've been wanting to go between 3/4 and 1/2 for a while now. A small chamber like that is ideal for flakes, and, interestingly, shag. Once in a while I stuff a pipe with halfzware shag, and even 3/4 is way too big. It tends to burn too fast and too hot. I'm in for 11/16.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

11/16 is a wonderful size for flake

jim
souljer

Post by souljer »

Why are we voting on this????

All the pros here agree with 11/16 and Brad brought up the very intelligent reasoning that it can also be used with a larger bore to make a deeper, narrower chamber for tapering shapes.

If that's what they say, that's what I want. Period.

Unless you have more experience then these guys or make pipes that look as good as these guys, why are you even thinking you know better than these guys??

I'm not a pro or expert but I know enough to know; I don't know enough. I am not going to mico-manage a pro who has years more experience. Can we just let the man do us a favor and do what he knows is right? I guarantee he'll make himself an 11/16 bit regardless of what the rest of you vote for. Did you ever think there might be reasons for that? Even if the reasons are beyond you, the reasons are still good ones and you should listen to and respect them. I thought you guys were on this site to learn. How can you learn when you don't listen??

If you don't want to use the bit either buy it and figure out later why it was a good idea, when you get to that stage, (at which point you'll probably be hugging yourself for being so brilliant for buying them), or don't buy them.

You don't have to buy these bits. Save your money for wood or cheaper bits that you think you can "make-do" or "get by" with. That also guarantees you won't use these.

Win-win for everyone.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
ckr

Post by ckr »

Why are we voting on this????
It is a poll? :wink:

Of course, your points are also well taken.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
BDP

Post by BDP »

Souljer,

You get an A+ for this class and a standing ovation...

I've been working in the shop all day alone with my thoughts, and came to these same conclusions...

Guys, trust me, when you shape first and come up with a shape that is narrow at the bottom, you are going to understand why you need the 11/16th bit. Stop thinking only in terms of bowl size and start thinking in terms of PROBLEM SOLVING.

I will look into including larger sizes, if feasable, for the reasons stated earlier concerning overall cost on the project.

Brad
sethile

Post by sethile »

Souljer wrote:....All the pros here agree with 11/16 and Brad brought up the very intelligent reasoning that it can also be used with a larger bore to make a deeper, narrower chamber for tapering shapes.

If that's what they say, that's what I want. Period.

Unless you have more experience then these guys or make pipes that look as good as these guys, why are you even thinking you know better than these guys??

I'm not a pro or expert but I know enough to know; I don't know enough. I am not going to mico-manage a pro who has years more experience. Can we just let the man do us a favor and do what he knows is right? I guarantee he'll make himself an 11/16 bit regardless of what the rest of you vote for. Did you ever think there might be reasons for that? Even if the reasons are beyond you, the reasons are still good ones and you should listen to and respect them. I thought you guys were on this site to learn. How can you learn when you don't listen?? .......
AMEN! Great post!
Brad, these bits come with a guarantee that my pipes will look as good as yours when I use them, right? I can't wait! 8)
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
BDP

Post by BDP »

sethile wrote:
Brad, these bits come with a guarantee that my pipes will look as good as yours when I use them, right? I can't wait! 8)
Scott,

Two things:

A: That's funny!

B: When you SF/DS, your pipes will take on a whole new dimension. You can capture grain that was impossible in the past, and your shapes will be dictated by the block and grain, not a one-dimensional drawing on the side of the block and a hope that there is no pit once it is cut out on the band saw!

So Scott, yes and no.. your pipes will certainly change after this, but they will look more like YOUR pipes than mine, but yours will gain fluidity and freedom. Once it happens successfully for you, you will smack your forehead and exclaim- "Now I know what they were talking about!"

Be Excited! The tide is rising, and all the yachts in this harbour are going to rise with it!

Best,
Brad
Nick

Post by Nick »

What's silly to me is that we have maybe six people wanting to buy the bits and 12 people have voted. LOL!

Anyway, I'm committed to buying the bits. I am totally excited to be able to work this way.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I will commit either way once the price is determined.