Potential Fraud Warning

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Potential Fraud Warning

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Guys,

I got an email a few weeks ago from a guy named Danny Ray Finn, Jr, and he said he wanted to sell my pipes in his tobacco shop in Bowling Green, KY.

I told him that I didn't want to add any retailers at the moment, but would let him know if the situation changed.

I got another email from him yesterday:

Mr. Davis I hate to bother you again, but I really wish you would reconsider letting me retail your pipes. I need one more supplier so I can get the pass program for physically handicapped individuals. The government would let me have a sizeable loan so I could expand my shop. I really need another American Artisan. Understand that I am educated to the extreme. It would also give you free advertising in our local and college paper for you. Please understand that I am asking for a hand up and not a handout. I would also pay you every other order in cash. Tony Nielsen gives me sixty days to pay. I would only want 10 to 15 pipes a year. Give it some thought and lets make some dollars. I hope to do business soon!!!!

Regards,

Danny Ray Finn JR

Cedar Cigar Ash
This just sounded wacky to me. :D

I just got off the phone with Tonni Nielsen, and he is not doing business with this guy, and he's a bit pissed that he's using his name in this way.

Danny Ray has contacted a bunch of Danish carvers as well as Mark Tinsky wanting to buy pipes. He ordered a bunch of pipes from Mark's site, and Mark told him that he would ship when he got paid. So far, no pay.

Tonni told me that all of the carvers he knows are very suspicious of the guy.

If he contacts any of you, I would recommend that you not deal with him.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Rad,

Danny Ray is one of my best dealers, along with Jimmy Don, Billy Jack, and Ricky Lee. They all run promotions where each pipe comes with a PBR and a pack of Swisher-Sweets. It's proven very effective with corncob converts. These guys are great promoters too. They put up lots of flyers at the flea-market and the co-op. Perhaps you should reconsider. I think Jimmy Don is working out of Bucksnort, TN these days. Good luck.

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Todd,

I thought Jimmy Don was in Wart Race. When did he move to Bucksnort? :D

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Potential Fraud Warning

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:I just got off the phone with Tonni Nielsen, and he is not doing business with this guy, and he's a bit pissed that he's using his name in this way.
I'd be a bit pissed too if someone called me Tony when my name was Tonni. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I just got off the phone with Tonni Nielsen, and he is not doing business with this guy, and he's a bit pissed that he's using his name in this way.
Oh, come on Kirk, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, as a foriegner, he can't expect for his name to be pronounced right.

Todd
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

He contacted me as well and ordered 30 pipes witout ever seeing one ...but after seeing some of the emails he sent to Hencheen who sent him 2 pipes witout beeing paid It left me dead cold...

I bet his career wil be long and fruitfull :P
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Rad,
Everyone has this wrong. Being a road warrior for over 30 years and traveling the great state of TN, I have run across Danny Ray, his sister Betty Lou Sue, his brother Billy Bob Bubba and uncle Slim. They actually started out in Skullbone, TN, and had offices in Wartrace and Bucksnort. Bucksnort is famous for their pond fishing, with Skullbone being famous for, well, that's obvious. Anyway, we did not want them in TN and they moved to Bowling Green, KY since uncle Slim and Betty Lou Sue were going to try for the professional bowler's tour. Imagine their surprise when they found that all Bowling Green had to offer was the Fruit of the Loom distribution center, Corvette museum and home of the Everly Brothers. Initially they started out selling ZigZags and high end bongs but, wanted to go legit. Hence, fine briar pipes.
Nick

Post by Nick »

As a person with a deep heratige of Appalationess, I am mildly offended, and quite ammused! HMMPPHH!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:
Oh, come on Kirk, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, as a foriegner, he can't expect for his name to be pronounced right.

Todd
You know, Tood, you're probably right. Besides, those guys from the appalachians speak a language all to themselves.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Recently, three Heeschens showed up on eBay at twice their retail value from a guy named "Colibridan." Given the information posted here by Rad, I sent an exploratory e-mail and found out that this is none other than Danny Ray Finn Jr. I explained to him that he was an idiot and a thief, that the pipe community is small and well connected, and that he was committing a crime. He responded by explaining that, if none of the pipes sell at auction, he would, of course, promptly return them to Peter, just as they had talked about. I don't have the text of the first round of correspondence, but here is what I wrote to him:

"Interesting. It seems Peter sent you three pipes and never
received payment. Suddenly, three pipes show up on eBay at
twice their market value--something you're obviously unaware
of--and yet you call yourself an honest business man. Do you
remember typing this to another pipe artisan "Tony Nielsen
gives me sixty days to pay." Funny that Tonnni has never heard
of you or done business with you before. Isn't that so?
I don't care what kind of sob story you concoct, you're
committing fraud. Plain and simple. Failure to pay an artisan for
his wares is theft, and when it happens across international
borders, it's a federal offense. I'm not certain of the specifics,
but at the prices you seem to think these pipes are valued, I
would imagine the offense is fairly serious from a criminal
justice standpoint. Peter is a personal friend of mine, and a
gentleman of the first order. You, sir, are a charlatan and a loser."

Then I ran out of available characters. My uncle is a Sherriff in Bowling Green, KY. I'll keep everyone informed of this poor man's plight.

Todd
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Dang he never contact me. I feel slighted. :cry:
Tano

Post by Tano »

John,

Your pipes are too beautifull to be risked not beign paid handsomley for.
All the best,
Tano
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Todd,

Here's what I sent him on the 18th:
No thank you, Danny Ray.

I just spoke on the phone with Tonni Nielsen. Most all of the pipemakers are on to you. I hear you got 2 pipes from Peter Heeschen though. You must be very proud of yourself.

Good luck with your "venture".

Rad

I got this one from Danny Ray today:
Dan here, I just wanted you to know that I sold a pipe today and will be able to send Peter his money tomorrow. I hope you don't think bad of me and we can do some biz soon!!!

Best wishes,

Danny

What an idiot.

Rad
ckr

Post by ckr »

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." :wink:
Nick

Post by Nick »

You know, if the guy is legit, I wish him well. But he really needs to come up with a better business model than the one he's pursuing now. It just sounds too scammish.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It just sounds too scammish.

Ya think? :lol:

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

One other thing:

When I was talking to Tonni, he told me that he had tried to phone Danny Ray.

When he called, a female voice answered. Tonni asked if Danny Ray Finn was in. The woman screamed, "NO!", and she slammed the phone down.

Apparently, Danny Ray's Domestic Tranquility Index is in the crapper along with his business model.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Danny Ray and I have been doing some e-mailing back and forth. Having quoted back to him some of the stuff he's written to other pipemakers, things posted here, he must think I have his phones tapped and some sort of spy-bot on his computer.
I've been in touch with Peter, and he says he's been contacted by Danny Ray about payment. I hope that's because I explained to Danny Ray that if Peter didn't get his money or his pipes inside of a week, I would contact the Warren County Sherrif's Dept. and have him arrested. I hope he does the right thing, but it seems doubtful.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

That's hysterical Rad!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Go get'em Todd! :twisted: