Extention question

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
sgresso

Extention question

Post by sgresso »

I have a Meer Cigar holder i picked up a few years ago.
I am thinking of adding it to a pipe in the future.
What is the best way to connect it to the pipe.
Do I shape the Shank so that the extenction fits flush to it so that its tight?
do I add some type of glue?
just trying to get some ideas for the future
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Extention question

Post by Tyler »

sgresso wrote:I have a Meer Cigar holder i picked up a few years ago.
I am thinking of adding it to a pipe in the future.
What is the best way to connect it to the pipe.
Do I shape the Shank so that the extenction fits flush to it so that its tight?
do I add some type of glue?
just trying to get some ideas for the future
I'm not totally clear on what you are asking, but a flush tight fit AND epoxy would be the normal route. (If I am understanding the question correctly.)

Tyler
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

Sorry about that.
I was asking if I just set it flush with the pipe shank or do i need to add some epoxy?

what type of epoxy would i need?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I still don't understand. Do have a pic of a similar extension?
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

No i don't

All i was asking was if i need to set it flush with the shank and not use any type of glue. Or no i need to add epoxy and what type?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's *really* tough to tell without seeing an example or reading a more illustrative description. I think Tyler and I haveing trouble visualizing what you want to do with this thing, and how you plan on attaching it.

Typically, one would use epoxy to attach anythng you don't want removed at some point.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

Thanks for the help so far i realy do appreciate it!

I was thinking on my next pipe to make it a permanate extention and have the bit sticking out of the meer part.
it would be flush up to the shank and have the bit out of the smaller end.
I will try to find a pic of one online so I can give a example.

Here is a rought example

---------
- -
---------
------------- ______ -------
Shank _______ Extention
------------- -------

I want it to be permantaly fixed and have the bit fit into the end of the Meer part

http://www.meerschaumpipes.com/Designer ... 262C0.aspx

here is what i am kinda talking about

I hope it help a bit more.
I guess being new its hard to explain what I am thinking without you being there!
Thanks for being patient for me
t-bear

Post by t-bear »

This is in line with a question I've had for a while now. I started a pipe a bit ago and mis-drilled the shank, which was short to begin with. I've removed the shank entire at this point. Would it be functionally sound to drill into the bowl til I was flush with the inner wall and epoxy a cylinder into the drilling, then redrill the draft hole? Or...would this cause problems with unequal expansion or toxicity due to the bonding agent? Reason I ask: this is a very nice bit of plateau and I'd like to rescue it, if only for my own use.....
Thanks.
T-Bear
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

t-bear wrote:This is in line with a question I've had for a while now. I started a pipe a bit ago and mis-drilled the shank, which was short to begin with. I've removed the shank entire at this point. Would it be functionally sound to drill into the bowl til I was flush with the inner wall and epoxy a cylinder into the drilling, then redrill the draft hole? Or...would this cause problems with unequal expansion or toxicity due to the bonding agent? Reason I ask: this is a very nice bit of plateau and I'd like to rescue it, if only for my own use.....
Thanks.
I wouldn't drill a "mortise" in the stummel for a new shank. Instead, use the draught hole that is already there as a mortise, epoxy a stainless tubing "tenon" into it. Leave enough tubing hanging out to be a tenon the other direction into a new shank that also has a draught hole drilled in it. Epoxy the new shank on this tube flush with the current stummel. You could use bamboo or briar for this shank replacement.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll second that. My personal preference would be to use the tenon as Tyler suggested, but no epoxy on the tenon. The epoxy would go between the shank and bowl only. Just to be on the safe side.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'll second that. My personal preference would be to use the tenon as Tyler suggested, but no epoxy on the tenon. The epoxy would go between the shank and bowl only. Just to be on the safe side.
That is a good point if there is not much "meat" on the stummel. I always epoxy that end with a bamboo, but I may have more wood there since I have planned for such an extension.
t-bear

Post by t-bear »

Thanks gents! I'll look into the tubing idea....makes sense to me. I'll let y'all know how it works.....or doesn't....LOL
T-Bear
Frank

Post by Frank »

Reply/question to T-bear's type of problem:

Just an idea.
Instead of cutting off the misdrilled shank, would it not be better to fill the misdrilled hole with a briar plug & redrill, with or without a shank extension?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett